Talk

Advanced search

can tumble dryers be energy efficient really?

(6 Posts)
claudib Wed 13-Aug-08 13:09:08

what your alternatives if not..?

HolidaysQueen Wed 13-Aug-08 14:37:19

they are rubbish compared to other appliances but if you feel you really need one, some are better than others. the ones that sense when the laundry is dry and stop the cycle then rather than just running a whole cycle are better. we have one of these (zanussi i think) and it is a B rating which is as good as it gets for tumble dryers. but i try not to use it too often and mostly dry stuff outside if it's dry.

nannyL Wed 13-Aug-08 18:26:52

i fond line drying energy efficient grin

i ahve a really high line that catchs the sun and even the slightest breeze

in the summer clothes are dry within the hour... even on a cold winter day, by the end of the day (ie 4pm ish) clothes are dry enough to spend the night in the airing cupboard and be properly dry in the morning.

tumble dryers all use lots of energy per hour.... some just use even more than others

sophy Wed 13-Aug-08 18:55:44

If you get your electricity from a green energy supplier it's not so bad...

Saggarmakersbottomknocker Wed 13-Aug-08 19:03:04

Saves on the ironing.....

RhinestoneCowgirl Wed 13-Aug-08 19:06:11

I've never had a tumble dryer because of the energy use. Line dry or have airers all over the place when wet (which is not so great I admit, but do-able).

Oh, and the only things that get ironed in this house are DH's workshirts, and he does them... Purely an ethical decision on my part obv blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now