Talk

Advanced search

non-plastic containers for storing food in the freezer, what do you use?

(13 Posts)
Gemzooks Wed 06-Aug-08 14:14:50

Want to avoid using tupperware/plastic. Is there such a thing as ceramic or glass containers that you can put in the freezer?

Even ceramic with a plastic lid would be OK..

WelliesAndPyjamas Wed 06-Aug-08 14:17:01

why do you want to avoid plastic? (genuine question) I'm currently filling my new freezer and wish I had more plastic containers because they can be used year on year, as opposed to freezer bags that I can only use once and are a waste. Do you know something I should know about plastic?

I wouldn't put glass in the freezer. Not sure about ceramic.

nailpolish Wed 06-Aug-08 14:18:02

the pampered chef has ceramic containers with plastic lids

moshie Wed 06-Aug-08 14:21:06

Pyrex is freezable, microwavable and oven proof, so is ideal because you can keep the food in the same container to freeze, defrost and reheat.

Gemzooks Wed 06-Aug-08 19:13:43

thanks, will look up pampered chef..

welliesandp, I'm concerned about plastic because chemicals can leach out, especially when heated, including ones which mimic oestrogen.

This is just one article www.guardian.co.uk/society/2005/may/30/food.foodanddrink

but there's mounting evidence that plastic containers are a bit dodgy because they're not static, they age and leak.

I never worried about any of this stuff until I started working for an environmental organisation a few months ago and actually read what is out there, now I'm trying to green our family up a bit, but it's a gradual process...

PavlovtheCat Wed 06-Aug-08 19:16:07

you can buy pyrex or something similar which come with a secure plastic lid. I think it is actually designed for freezing - prepare, cover freeze, take straight out, lid off and cook.

AAAh, but its a plastic lid hmm

GrapefruitMoon Wed 06-Aug-08 19:18:44

I've got a pyrex type container with a plastic lid - but it was given to me by a friend from the US.... but I'm sure you can get similar here

Gemzooks Wed 06-Aug-08 19:19:01

I'm not bothered about plastic lid, that won't be actually touching the food and I will take it off before reheating.. I will keep my eyes peeled..

wheresthehamster Wed 06-Aug-08 19:21:00

Tesco's have a square pyrex dish with a plastic lid but haven't seen them on the rectangular or round ones

WelliesAndPyjamas Wed 06-Aug-08 19:21:10

Oh I seeee. I didn't know that.
Thanks for the link. Will go off to read it now.

Moguie Tue 26-Aug-08 14:14:50

Pampered Chef do either batter bowls or prep bowl sets which go in freezer, as do their stoneware but they have no lids. Could use clingfilm over or put in bag?

JackieNo Tue 26-Aug-08 14:24:36

Amazon have some pyrex with plastic lids - do a search for 'pyrex'.

JackieNo Tue 26-Aug-08 14:27:05

And I don't know whether you could use these on normal dishes - they say freezer safe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now