Talk

Advanced search

Laundry - eco balls and environmentally friendly soaps do not remove/mask urine smell. Help!

(9 Posts)
Bluebutterfly Wed 06-Aug-08 08:32:23

I use eco balls and ecover laundry soap, but I find that they do not remove the strong (acrid!!!) smell of urine. My ds 3.6 is mainly toilet trained but we still get the odd accident and then I can't get the smell out of his pants and trousers. I want to be green, but I don't want to smell "too" natural iyswim! Any tips?

ProfYaffle Wed 06-Aug-08 08:39:36

White vinegar? I wash nappies in Ecover and white vinegar, using an extra rinse, don't have any smells.

Bluebutterfly Wed 06-Aug-08 09:02:56

Really Prof, not even of vinegar? I may give that a go. I used reusables for ds, but they seemed did not smell the way his wet clothes do - maybe because I soaked them and I don't soak all of his wet pants and trousers - just straight into the wash. I am loathe to start a wet trouser/pants soaking bucket - I have a pyschological aversion to the idea, don't know why!

Cappuccino Wed 06-Aug-08 09:09:20

rinse in white vinegar

add few drops of tea tree oil to wash

air outside if poss

I did all my nappy washing with eco balls this way

PollyFlinders Wed 06-Aug-08 10:15:44

Does the white vinegar go in the fabric softener bit or the washing powder bit?

Bought some the other day for nappies, but it smells quite strong? Not sure about it...

Cappuccino Wed 06-Aug-08 10:16:42

I tended to do a rinse and spin before running the wash programme, and pouring the vinegar in as the water was feeding through the dispenser drawer

Brangelina Wed 06-Aug-08 10:17:40

Fabric softener drawer. You can add a few drops of essential oils for perfume.

Alternatively sprinkle his clothes with bircarbonate before putting them in the machine.

Bluebutterfly Wed 06-Aug-08 13:20:10

Thanks folks - lots of useful tips to get washing with - fun, fun, fun...grin

Ineedsomesleep Fri 08-Aug-08 13:40:41

Do you use nappy liners too?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now