Talk

Advanced search

Living without plastic

(4 Posts)
Dilberta Fri 01-Aug-08 09:17:38

interesting experiment

here

I think I'll try too. Anyone want to join me?
BUT, have to have disposable nappies (6 yo doubly incontinent) and have to have feeding tubes. (same 6yo)
But everything else should be do-able.

Wisknit Fri 01-Aug-08 09:53:18

Sounds interesting.
What about meat eaters though, even our local high street butcher uses plastic bags. Nit picking maybe but with a husband who objects to too many veggie meals what would I do?
And waht is she doing about milk? Again, even the local milkman uses plastic bottles these days.

Dilberta Fri 01-Aug-08 11:37:43

our milkman delievers milk in those glass bottles so we're ok there. We don't eat meat but maybe taking greaseproof paper? Asking them to wrap it up. Isn't that what they did in the olden days?
Our shopping bags are all cotton so thats ok.
What are crisp packets made out of? Or smoothie boxes?
I get my veg in paper bags. The baker cuts the loaf and sticks a plastic bag on it so I'll have to make him stop.
We are addicted to plastic!

notcitrus Fri 01-Aug-08 16:18:26

I'll try it once I've given birth and can hopefully walk again. At the moment all my food is what I can order on the internet and then have the energy to cook, so even with bagless delivery from Tescos, there's a lot of packets from pasta, ham, cheese, fruit that normally I don't have nearly as much of.

Milkman (Dairy Crest) delivers in bottles as an option, so I do that. Have lots of handed-down reusuable nappies which I'll mainly use, although I expect I'll use a few disposables too especially at first.
Tend not to buy much stuff anyway, and pretty much always take my own bag (often a plastic one, as we have loads acquired over the years from family/friends/pre-awareness days.

I'm pretty good at telling people in shops "No thank you, I don't want a bag" until they take my item out of their bag again. And buying sarnies from places that just wrap in paper, although work can recycle all plastics now, which makes me feel less bad about my weakness for takeaway sushi (an industry that really doesn't comprehend reducing plastic...)

I can recycle plastic bottles (and tetrapaks/juice cartons) at home too, so don't feel so bad about that. Once I start doing cooking again I should easily be back to one not-full black bag a fortnight for the whole house. Maybe full, depending on how I manage with the nappies...

Some of my colleagues are now bringing their plastic packaging from home to recycle at work, along with mobiles, CDs, and batteries.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now