Talk

Advanced search

Can you buy Dyes on-line? Are there Eco Dyes? Do they work?

(8 Posts)
KatyMac Thu 31-Jul-08 09:37:00

I have some Ikea chair covers I want to dye because the childminded children coloured them in

Do I need to strip them first?

They are very faded anyway so they needed dying anyway

GentlyWorryTheAnimal Thu 31-Jul-08 09:39:29

I don't know about eco dyes, but you can buy dylon from www.calicolaine.co.uk/ or procion dyes from dt crafts

KatyMac Thu 31-Jul-08 10:16:24

Thanks I like the look of the procion dyes - but they don't have the right colour

Shitehawk Thu 31-Jul-08 10:18:33

What colours are you looking for?

You can dye shades between sepia to brownish-red with tea-bags if you want to be ultra-eco.

Or some natural dyes here

KatyMac Thu 31-Jul-08 10:19:18

Sort of muddy line green

KatyMac Thu 31-Jul-08 10:19:35

LIME blush

Shitehawk Thu 31-Jul-08 10:27:20

You can use plants to dye, but you would need to test a piece of similar material first.

Apparently if you boil up sage and rosemary, strain it and add salt, you will get a green dye.

If you boil up purple onion skins then add salt, you get a sludgy lime green.

Make it up in the sink, dip in the material, stir it round, soak it for a bit, then wash it. Repeat until you get the right colour.

I haven't tried either of those; dying with tea bags has been my limit so far. But if nothing else you could have great fun doing tye-dying or something, just to test the colours!

KatyMac Thu 31-Jul-08 10:53:28

That sounds interesting - maybe DD & I will have a go at the weekend (if I can get any purple onions...& think of a way of using them)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now