Talk

Advanced search

Fed up of dirty clothes!

(22 Posts)
specialmagiclady Mon 21-Jul-08 21:11:14

My first post on this topic... Here goes.

I try to do my bit, you know, and have used Ecover for years (yes, I know there are some issues re ethical-ness-hood of Ecover, but I like the refillability).

However, I have two grubby grubby children and I'm fed up of never getting clothes clean.

So, which has a worse environmental footprint? Ecover on a hot wash or Persil on a cold one?

Any ideas? The smell of old food on my 1 yo's t-shirt necks is getting me down!

sparkymummy Mon 21-Jul-08 21:18:39

I have this dilemma too, I tend to alternate a bit, use persil when stuff is really bad, or when the weather has been rubbish for ages and things have been drying inside a lot (fresh air and sun seems to get clothes fresher than inside drying) nad then the next few washes after that go back to Ecover but I always use a cooler wash, just make sure I've put the time saver setting off!

MinnieMoan Mon 21-Jul-08 21:20:43

I mainly use Ecover, and from time to time, I do a hot wash with a <whispers> brand name evil powder.

Same with the dishwasher.

MadameCheese Mon 21-Jul-08 21:23:41

I found that long term use of ecover made my clothes rancid as it didn't clean properly, barf!

expatinscotland Mon 21-Jul-08 21:24:05

i hate dirty clothes.

i'm a freak snob about laundry.

my vote is for the evil stuff on the temp recommended on the label every time.

no tumble drying except a) in the event of an emergency, like a D&V bug when you need to turn clean linens around quickly b) use the air cycle on towels and jeans before begging them and they'll be stop.

MadameCheese Mon 21-Jul-08 21:24:50

we should all try the new co-op stuff

suwoo Mon 21-Jul-08 21:26:09

I use eco balls and they are good on everything apart from white socks that have been running around the garden grin

specialmagiclady Mon 21-Jul-08 21:30:10

My mum uses eco balls and my kids come out in a rash at her house. Can't think what else it could be as her water BEAUTIFUL and we bring our own bath stuff etc.

Klaw Mon 21-Jul-08 21:30:39

I'm alternating between Soap Nuts and Ecover Biological powder. Soap nuts aloen don't cope with ds's teen grubbiness. I also add Borax to the wash if I think it needs added oomph, and we line dry outside a lot. Ds's football tops do not get clean, must be the manmade fibres (yeuch!!!) Give me cotton and wool every time

Dp did bring home an old tumble dryer but I dread to think what it's energy rating would be and also I can't bear to pay for the electric it uses so it doubles up as a place to stick things on wink

MinnieMoan Mon 21-Jul-08 21:42:07

I tell ya what I have used which seems to work ok...Eco Smart...

I have only used it for two weeks, so a yet can't tell ya how rancid my washing might get after prolonged use. But so far it seems fine, and whites wash ok on 30, for now!

specialmagiclady Mon 21-Jul-08 21:50:25

Hmm.... borax a good idea. How much do you add?

I don't understand why Ecover's washing liquid is so rubbish when its other products are pretty good.

Oh bless! My neighbour's just brought my washing in for me. What a star he is!

Klaw Mon 21-Jul-08 21:54:19

30ml iirc for the Borax, it's 99p in Tesco. I use an old scoop to measure it, and there are 'destructions' on the box.

I've never used the Ecover liquid myself, I get the powder and make sure it's biological so that it stands a chance with ds clothes

specialmagiclady Mon 21-Jul-08 23:09:07

DH has sensitive skin and can't do biological. As do kids. Bahh.. Weaklings.

ilovemydog Mon 21-Jul-08 23:12:50

Bio D?

Elf Tue 22-Jul-08 10:17:17

Do you put the Borax in the dispenser and in which case where do you put your other washing powder/liquid?

Or do you put it in the drum?

I've got loads and I'd love to use it to help my crap washing too.

TIA.

Klaw Tue 22-Jul-08 12:07:46

Destructions on pack say:

to wash clothes: add 2 tablespoon to the detergent, with the detergent dosed for soft water, and wash as normal. Always test garments for colour fastness

link to info about borax although I use Tesco's Naturally range as that is where I've been getting it at 400g for 99p.

Be careful not to breath dust in or to let children anywhere near it. Dd actually pours it into dispenser for me as she is so helpful [proud mum] but it is kept in locked cupboard with other cleansing stuff.

I'm also nearly finished my bottle of Bio-D washing up liquid, and then will compare against the Ecover bottle I've got, which was cheaper.

Elf Tue 22-Jul-08 12:16:56

Thanks Klaw.

Klaw Tue 22-Jul-08 12:17:30

Specialmagiclady bah humbug to your sensitive souls eh? wink I always worry when trying a new product since I had a reaction to Ariel many moons ago, but thankfully I've been OK with Ecover. And I usually always stuck to Non Bio products apart from Daz (love the smell of Daz)

Lidl's washing powder is phosphate free and I'm sure came in a non bio... can't really recall, so go check it out. I had no problems with it or it's cleaning power. But then I never expected ANYTHING to cope with ds's clothes.

Bramshott Tue 22-Jul-08 12:31:07

The Ecover stain remover is pretty good when used in conjunction with their washing liquid. I share your pain - our clothes seem to smell fresh, but the kids stained ones are just never actually clean!!

specialmagiclady Fri 25-Jul-08 16:38:41

my clothes don't even smell fresh. But then I'm a bit of a stinky sweaty sort of person...

tazmosis Sun 27-Jul-08 00:12:34

I use Ecover and my clothes are clean...or at least I think they are! I've got a miele and its got a soak function so I soak the kids stained stuff and also use Ecover stain remover and they come out just as clean as when I used Persil non bio.

The clothes do fade more quickly though.

PinkTulips Sun 27-Jul-08 00:17:25

i'm using the tesco natural stuff at the minute and it washes really well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now