Talk

Advanced search

Any updates on proposed EU tea tree oil ban?

(10 Posts)
Lastyearsmodel Sun 20-Jul-08 22:00:05

Just run out of tea tree oil for the nappy bucket and searched online to find a good priced supplier.
Came up with this article about research showing it could cause boys to grow boobs and make people more prone to e coli, MRSA, etc. Eh??
The article is from Feb 2007 but I can't find any updates as to whether it is going to be banned or whether there's anything in the research findings.
Does anyone know any more about it?

expatinscotland Sun 20-Jul-08 22:03:47

WTF?

never heard the like!

i love tea tree oil.

Lastyearsmodel Sun 20-Jul-08 22:11:24

Expat, I know! Would be stuffed without it. V annoying of the Guardian to publish that story then nothing else.
I normally don't have much time for scare stories based on 'research' but ds is only 4 months and probably doesn't want boobs.

Lastyearsmodel Wed 23-Jul-08 16:51:52

bump

imaginewittynamehere Wed 23-Jul-08 16:57:47

I'm certain it isn't banned - is still for sale at boots & for bargain hunters I just bought 30ml of tea tree oil for £1.49 (Aldi offer)

SaintGeorge Wed 23-Jul-08 17:07:43

Wasn't just the Guardian, there was a lot of publicity at the time.

The argument seems to still be ongoing.

This suggests it was on the agenda for the Scientific Committee on Consumer Products to look at in Jan 2008, but I can't find anything on their website to say it came under discussion.

chibi Wed 23-Jul-08 17:12:17

I have heard similar things about lavender.

I think that many plant oils can contain compounds which are similar to oestrogen and other 'female' hormones, so there is the concern that they can affect development.

I've not heard anything about e. coli/MRSA.

I don't use any oils on my dd but this is more due to her having had eczema. Even if this weren't the case I would avoid using plant oils on her skin directly.

Lastyearsmodel Thu 24-Jul-08 19:41:18

So would using a few drops of tea tree in the nappy bucket before washing count as using it on DS's skin, d'you think?

chibi Thu 24-Jul-08 19:48:59

Probably not, but hormone and hormone mimicking chemicals work in very tiny quantities.

It is probably ok but if there is an alternative you may wish to pursue it. Perhaps you could ask an older femael relative what they used 'back in the day'.

Lastyearsmodel Thu 24-Jul-08 21:05:42

I'm a 70s child - my Mum used as many chemicals and detergents as she could get her hands on grin. Guess I'll have to try dry pailing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now