Talk

Advanced search

energy meter/moniter thingys-have you got one?

(8 Posts)
brimfull Thu 17-Jul-08 21:35:36

how much was it?

would you recommend it?

which one is best?

palaver Thu 17-Jul-08 21:37:09

we have an owl, got on half price special offer in B&Q I think it was about £20?

palaver Thu 17-Jul-08 21:38:43

owl

brimfull Thu 17-Jul-08 21:42:15

thanks looks good

has it helped you save energy?

palaver Thu 17-Jul-08 21:45:29

maybe - it certainly was a bit of an eye opener seeing how much power the spotlights in the kitchen use.

I think it is more novelty value for us as we are quite good at turning unnecessary stuff off though

andyrobo237 Thu 17-Jul-08 22:03:46

We got one via Eon as part of a deal when we capped our energy rates. It is great fun to look at, and gives comparisons from day to day! It is a novelty, but it gives an instant reminder how much energy things use, and how much wasted energy is used on things left on standby.

Lastyearsmodel Thu 17-Jul-08 22:06:46

We got one free when we switched tariff with our elec/gas provider. It's interesting at first - run round the house turning things off and on - and yes, some things do surprise you. But the snag comes when you set it up and input how much you pay per Kw hr. Our tariff (and all tariffs, I think) charges one rate for the first so many Kws then another rate for elec used after that - there's no facility to input this into the monitor. The result is you don't know exactly what you're spending or saving.
We're going to lend ours to family and friends now the thrill's worn off. Perhaps you could borrow one?

Notquitegrownup Fri 18-Jul-08 21:56:32

We've had a couple. Agree that they are useful at first at raising your awareness of what you are using, but I found them a bit falsely reassuring. Leaving my computer on only cost Xp per hour, which didn't seem a lot. But as you add the Xps up over a month or two, it suddenly hits home . . .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now