Talk

Advanced search

If this weather carries on I'm going to seriously consider getting a tumble dryer

(19 Posts)
PeaMcLean Fri 11-Jul-08 17:35:29

Is that really bad??

I don't mind in winter cos I can dry clothes on the radiators.

I don't want a house full of airers. And it takes aaaaaaaaaages for stuff to dry. Especially when you've got a lot, or big things like towels.

Tell me how wrong I am and what I should be doing differently.

bogie Fri 11-Jul-08 17:37:46

Yes really really bad
Sorry can't say more off to out washing in the tumble dryer grin

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Fri 11-Jul-08 17:40:35

I love my dryer, but I don't use it that often, and always opt for the linen line and airer if I can.

sophy Fri 11-Jul-08 19:32:58

Tumble drier is OK for wet days in summer if you use a green electricity supplier, such as Good Energy.

crokky Fri 11-Jul-08 19:44:49

I love my tumble dryer. OK it uses electricity BUT it can be mitigated by:

-having a tumble dryer means you need fewer clothes and bedding - I can have things washed in the machine and dried in the dryer in an hour and a half.
-if you dry clothes inside, the washing powder smell and the moisture from the clothes is in your house
-I never iron anything I have tumbled

It isn't an eco crime IMO. I don't fly anywhere and my car is comparatively "clean". So I don't feel guilty about the dryer.

alittlebitshy Fri 11-Jul-08 19:46:46

<watches feeling a bit guilty about using it today but there was no way I was getting the stuff outside and being able to run and get it in if it rained (i'm 37 weeks pg and v uncomfy)>

expatinscotland Fri 11-Jul-08 19:49:20

We have one, but it's so expensive to run I only use it in emergencies, like a D&V bug, or on the air circulation cycle for jeans and towels before I peg them on the line (it keeps them nice and soft).

But if you run it exclusively it costs another £40/month or so. Not exactly chump change.

PeaMcLean Fri 11-Jul-08 20:04:57

£40 a month? Wow. How many times a week do you use it?

expatinscotland Fri 11-Jul-08 20:13:03

I don't. But if I did, that's what it would cost. For an experiment, put a load in and take a picture of your meter. Turn the dryer on. Watch and measure your meter, that way you can estimate how much it will cost you to run it.

PeaMcLean Fri 11-Jul-08 21:18:45

but then first I've got to buy the dryer grin

expatinscotland Fri 11-Jul-08 21:19:46

the ILs gave us one. wink

DanJARMouse Fri 11-Jul-08 21:22:03

i only spend £40 a month TOTAL for electric (meter)

that includes tumble dryer 3/4/5 times a week, lights, cooker etc etc etc

expatinscotland Fri 11-Jul-08 21:23:17

£190/quarter here.

BUT, the heat is gas and so is the water heater.

woodstock3 Sat 12-Jul-08 20:14:37

i've got one. in theory i meant to not use it in summer and only in winter but have slipped a lot.
we have all-renewable sources electricity so dont feel bad about the electricity but do feel annoyed by unnecessary cost.
justify it to self on the grounds that we use renewable nappies and it makes that less of a perfomance..they're a lot fluffier dried in dryer than on line!

LMAsMummy Sun 13-Jul-08 13:17:02

We have one, to use in bad weather, as we have dd1 aged 7 with CP and optional extras still in nappies, so lots of clothes washing. I know they are not great for the environment, but we don't use it unless we have to, and I refuse to feel guilty about it.

MrsMacaroon Sun 13-Jul-08 13:21:32

<sound of mrs mac's drier rumbling in background>

sushistar Thu 17-Jul-08 17:19:18

I'm going to get one I think. I literally run out of space to hang nappies around the house! And everything gets so damp. I'll use it on rainy days.

expatinscotland Thu 17-Jul-08 17:20:04

was FINALLY able to peg out today.

littlefrog Thu 17-Jul-08 20:20:43

We use a dehumidifier if the weather is really foul and we need to dry nappies indoors. Uses 125W, so just a bit more than a strong lightbulb. Makes the most enormous difference. Tumble driers are evil...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now