Talk

Advanced search

Cycling with kids to school. Do they wear high visibility vests? What do they wear when it is raining?

(11 Posts)
TodayToday Wed 09-Jul-08 12:17:01

It seems like most cycling related questions are answered here these days, so I hope someone reads this who can advise.

I have recently moved and now live just over 2 miles from DD1's school. She's 5.8 and DD2 is a large 2.10. They have outgrown the cycling trailer we have and soon we are purchasing a Roland add a bike - which can be used on one adult bike with a child seat at the same time.

So, DD1 will be on the tag-along bike and DD2 in the bike seat - with me peddaling!

I am trying to find out what other children wear when on bikes in the rain. Both my girls have waterproof trousers so they could wear those. Is it safe for children to wear wellies on a tag-along? Is it better to get a waterproof poncho or lightweight waterproof coat that can go over their normal warm clothes? Or should I get them both a warm waterproof coat that they wear everyday, even if it it not raining?

Do your children (and/or you)wear any high visibility clothing?

Thank you. I personally don't mind cycling in the rain but want DD1 to arrive at school warm and dry plus I want us to be safe in busy traffic on wet roads.

BlueChampagne Wed 09-Jul-08 13:07:00

DS only 10 months so a long way off a tag-along, but I always wear a hi-viz vest, helmet and gloves. At this time of year I don't bother with wet weather clothing because I find I just get wet from the inside out, if you see what I mean, but then our journey is rather longer, so there's plenty of time to warm up.

Ponchos tend to catch the wind, and are pretty bike-specific, so I would opt for a lightweight waterproof jacket and trousers, with hi-viz vest on the top. Extra layers can always be added in winter, and the jacket and trousers can be worn for all sorts of outdoor activities, so you'd get more use out of them.

Although I've cycled with wellies, I can't offer any experience with small people on them with tag-alongs. You can get lower-leg and shoe protectors, like gaiters with a bit that goes over the shoe too. These are quite good but cost more than wellies, and I don't actually know if they come in children's sizes. They're quite effective, but if there's a lot of spray coming off the road, or you have to go through a lot of puddles, water can get up from underneath and you end up with damp feet anyway.

Likewise, I don't mind cycling in the rain, but I've wimped out today as I don't want to put DS off.

TodayToday Wed 09-Jul-08 13:56:08

Thank you. I think lightweight properly waterproof jackets will be the most versatile for us. The waterproof trousers we have our the Muddy Puddles one which are elasticated around the ankle, so maybe wellies would be OK, as the elastic does help to keep them on.

Fennel Wed 09-Jul-08 20:18:35

Lightweight waterproof jackets and trousers, to go over normal clothes. but not usually wellies. Mine can cycle in wellies but it's a bit restricting. you can take spare shoes or socks if it's really rainy.

When we cycled to school most we didn't have those high visibility vests but now the dds have them from school and they do wear them on bikes sometimes, only on rainy or dark days.

Triathlete Wed 09-Jul-08 21:53:37

Cyclists' Touring Club have a new book on family cycling.

One thing I've noticed is that if you're NOT wearing full hi-viz, helmet, spangly lights and kidney protectors, then it's somehow your fault if you get into an accident. Hospital staff have asked me whether I was wearing a helmet after a collision with a car. "Er, no, and I didn't hit my head", but I was somehow remiss.

Recently a 40 foot truck nearly had me off through a dangerous overtake. When we had words, he said "where's your helmet then?" like it would help when an artic drives over you.

Not suggesting that will happen, but do wear the full kit, and read CTC's book for lots of useful stuff.

TodayToday Wed 09-Jul-08 22:16:36

Thank you. DH is a member of CTC so I don't know how he has missed knowing about that book. I'll look out for it.

iheartdusty Wed 09-Jul-08 22:23:12

You may need to check for mudguards, on your bike and on the tagalong. DD hates riding when it has been raining as my bike throws spray into her face.

also she gets cold on the tagalong while I am glowing and perspiring, although she does pedal steadily (it is virtually all uphill on the way), so your DDs will probably both need warmer clothes than you (oBviously DD2 will get much colder potentially)

Is it possible to get some kind of peak over their helmets (if they wear helmets)? I have caught DD cycling (Tagalong) with her eyes shut to keep the rain out.

TodayToday Thu 10-Jul-08 08:02:25

Yes, a peak sounds like a sensible idea. Do you mean a peak on their jackets or a helmet that has a peak?

I'm thinking of getting waterproof jackets that have a zip in fleece. I realise they will mostly need to be warm in the rain too but come summertime, I don't want to have to buy additional lightweight rain gear for them.

At the moment they have showerproof coats when we are out and about but they would not do for sitting on a bike in the rain.

lljkk Thu 10-Jul-08 12:18:21

CTC family cycling book is advertised in their current and last magazine.

TodayToday Fri 11-Jul-08 08:09:54

Thank you.

Romy7 Tue 15-Jul-08 11:58:12

normal baseball cap under waterproof jacket and trousers - hi viz over the top.

definitely check mud guards on both bikes - neither spray in the face nor up your back is fun for a 5 yo!

(we've still got dd2 in a trailer btw - she's 5 in september!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now