Talk

Advanced search

are recycled loo rolls and kitchen rolls that much better for the planet??

(21 Posts)
fairylights Tue 01-Jul-08 20:29:28

i know this is a small point in the big scheme of things but it has been bothering me.. i have just bought some some pretty low quality loo rolls from the local everything-piled-in-front-of-it-and-is-a-pound-ish shop which (on inspection) look like they may well be made from recycled paper. I usually buy recycled rolls but have noticed in ASDA that the recycled ones are with the "value" ones which has made me wonder..anyone got any idea, thanks! smile

dylsmum1998 Tue 01-Jul-08 20:40:27

i dont know if they are btter for the environment. but i did read somewhere that the value ones are much better than the charmin type ones as they break down easier (or something like that)

Takver Tue 01-Jul-08 20:58:02

I've always thought that the value ones look like they are recycled. You could always email the supermarket and ask, I know it sounds mad but often they will answer that sort of thing & it doesn't take that much time to try

Othersideofthechannel Tue 01-Jul-08 21:08:34

Recycled toilet paper is not bleached with chlorine. Maybe the value brands are not bleached either?

dylsmum1998 Tue 01-Jul-08 21:08:34

the value ones are def. recycled, i always buy those as when i was childminding the children always managed to block the loo with anything else

sophy Tue 01-Jul-08 21:25:42

Have had to stop buying recycled loo paper as dh complains not soft enough.

Now buying the FSC certified stuff which is kinder to DH's behind.

Not sure which has better eco-credentials.

fairylights Wed 02-Jul-08 12:29:38

seems a bit cheeky that if value ones are recycled they charge loads more for the "proper" recycled ones!! but i suspected as much..

dylsmum1998 Wed 02-Jul-08 14:55:00

yep not much diff between recycled and value (that i can tell) other than price.
i like being able to say i buy value as i'm eco conscious, rather than i'm a tight cow wink

fairylights Wed 02-Jul-08 20:54:02

ditto dylsmum, thats why i started the thread grin

dylsmum1998 Wed 02-Jul-08 21:07:53

i must admit i do a lot of eco things, all of which are things i have started to do now i am single mum ie smaller car with smaller engine tis better for the environment= i cant afford to run my bigger car
i buy in charity shops so not so much waste= i cant afford new everything
i make my own pasta sauce (for example)= i can buy a jar of dolmio for £1.50 or make my own for less than 50p
i rarely put my heating on as is better for the environemnt= reduced gas bill

this may come across as i dont care about the environment, i do i am just fascinated most of the things i can do to help also save me money so am bewildered why more people dont do many things iyswim
these things rather than depress me because i cant afford many things i look at as i make these choices so that i am helping to be eco. so they seem positive (which they are) and that keeps me going

Takver Thu 03-Jul-08 19:57:20

I see exactly what you mean dylsmum, I think it is totally a winner everyway round - because we don't spend so much on 'stuff' we aren't having to work loads, so we have more time to bike to school, make proper food etc etc, so it doesn't cost us so much and so on. In fact I am often baffled as to why everyone doesn't do this! I guess if you own your own place & have a big mortgage then you are locked into the whole work loads, buy stuff, work loads circle.

dylsmum1998 Thu 03-Jul-08 21:57:46

i see where you are coming from there takver, you are right if you get locked in that situation, i guess a lot of my changes have come from my being thrown head first in my situation, i needed to find ways of swimming if you like.
i would love to go round and help people to save money, doing just lots of little things. which would then impact on the environment in a good way

Lizum Mon 14-Jul-08 22:47:42

Recycled paper of any type uses less energy than virgin paper to process, so it is better than FSC certified. I don't understand Sainsbury's decision to go FSC for their range rather than recycled. There isn't enough FSC cerified wood for wood products let alone paper. We buy Sainsbury's own brand recycled without complaints but Nouvelle's is a bit softer. Anyone remember that medical paper - now that was harsh!

MarmadukeScarlet Mon 14-Jul-08 22:52:25

Which? did a survey recently and the 'luxury' recycled brands were the slowest to breakdown in the water/sewage system.

My bf friend is a science teacher and she also teaches sustainablity and had already told me this was why my loo/pipes were getting blocked so often.

We have our own biodigester (bugs that eat the effluent and filter the water, it comes out 95% pure when running efficiently) so have decided against any more 'nouvelle' as my bugs were having to work too hard to break it down.

onepieceoflollipop Mon 14-Jul-08 22:58:19

Marmaduke do you know if the luxury recycled brands broke down slower than the expensive luxury non-recycled brands (e.g. Charmin, Andrex etc)?

MarmadukeScarlet Mon 14-Jul-08 23:11:15

I will go and get my which? <rummages>

OK 4x* = best 1x* = worst

Nouvelle * (all for degradeability)

M&S 100% recycled **

Sainsbury's 100% recycled **

Waitrose *

Waitrose quilted extrasoft fsc certified *

Adndrex puppies on a roll fsc **

Andrex hello softie fsc **

Andrex quilts fsc **

Charmin supersize roll *

Sainsbury's supersoft fsc *

Velvet quilted *

nb Waitrose will not be fsc until August 2008

onepieceoflollipop Mon 14-Jul-08 23:16:08

Thanks for that - none of the brands featured managed 3 or 4 * then.

MarmadukeScarlet Mon 14-Jul-08 23:19:31

Yes they did, but the PC thought I'd put stars either side to make them bold!

Nouvelle * (all for degradeability)

M&S 100% recycled **

Sainsbury's 100% recycled **

Waitrose *

Waitrose quilted extrasoft fsc certified 3*

Adndrex puppies on a roll fsc 4*

Andrex hello softie fsc 4*

Andrex quilts fsc 4*

Charmin supersize roll 1*

Sainsbury's supersoft fsc 3*

Velvet quilted 3*

nb Waitrose will not be fsc until August 2008

onepieceoflollipop Mon 14-Jul-08 23:23:24

Oh, that star/bold thing happened to me and another poster once when we were using stars to type out rude words. It went very odd then someone brighter than me explained what I had done!

Thanks for posting it all again.

SofiaAmes Sun 20-Jul-08 03:21:03

Some years ago I met the owner of one of the major paper towel/toilet paper companies in the USA and he said that the majority of paper towel and toilet paper is already made for mostly recycled paper and it's just a marketing ploy to get you to pay more when they label it that way.

specialmagiclady Mon 21-Jul-08 21:15:37

Have to say I'd be appalled if it wasn't. There was a paper mill near my school and we went on a school trip once. Or something. Anyway, I have this fact in my head, for example, that newspapers, for example, were always printed on recycled paper.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now