Talk

Advanced search

anyone up for a challange?

(11 Posts)
giraffescantdance Tue 01-Jul-08 03:42:55

Been thinking about this for a while and I REALLY want to do it.

In my local supermarket (morrisons) you can either buy a huge bunch of bananas - pre weighed with a plastic tag, a plastic bag full of bananas or a single banana on a tray with cellophane on top hmm I often just need one or 2, am so tempted to buy the one in a tray and unwrap at checkout and give tray and cellophane back!!

Im sure theres loads of other things like that but Im planning on just doing it for one thing the first time then see.

Kind of like a one woman version of this thread - www.mumsnet.com/Talk/2422/397501?pg=3 which i think was wonderful btw.

Anyone else fancy having a try of something similar this week? If you are a complete novice then maybe start of by refusing to put fruit/veg in plastic bags and declining thier offer of wrapping yoghurt in plastic bags etc. (I do this and they look at me like I am a crazy hippy) grin its great fun.

2sugars Tue 01-Jul-08 04:45:52

We don't have a Morrisons near us, so I honestly don't know the answer to this one, but do the checkout people have the ability to weigh and price food? If not, I can't see it having any effect.

Othersideofthechannel Tue 01-Jul-08 05:53:40

Interesting idea.

But wouldn't it be more effective if everyone just changed where they shop?

I have never been to a supermarket in France or GB where they have tried to put my yoghurt in plastic bags. It is already packaged in plastic or card pots.

Last time I lived near a Morrisons was 8 yrs ago. Do they really no longer sell unpackaged fruit and veg there? That is appalling. I would get my bananas somewhere else eg greengrocers or market stands where they use paper bags or would let me bring in my own plastic bags.

dylsmum1998 Tue 01-Jul-08 12:19:05

i was at asda yesterday, i never use the fruit ad veg bags and never had a problem with checkout etc. yesterday i put everything on as i normally would and the cashier started to put the onions into bags. i said excuse please dont put them in bags. to which she carried on, ok she didnt hear me so i said louder and she looked at me and carried on i said excuse i dont need a plastic bag thank you. she looked at me like i was an alien. then took the bag away.
if i wanted them bagged i would have done it myself

girlandboy Tue 01-Jul-08 20:35:18

Ah, good for you dylsmum!

dylsmum1998 Tue 01-Jul-08 20:38:15

i've never been very assertive was very pleased with myself grin

girlandboy Tue 01-Jul-08 20:49:11

Blimey, you sound assertive to me. I'm off to Tesco tomorrow, you've inspired me! I'll give it a go!!!!

Takver Tue 01-Jul-08 20:56:52

Sounds good giraffes, or otherwise shop somewhere else and write to Morrissons & tell them why you are doing it . . .
We are lucky in having proper not chain shops in our town so you can always just moan at the owner direct which is a lot easier!

dylsmum1998 Tue 01-Jul-08 21:06:00

really i'm not usually. i think its because i always shop at asda and never had a problem before, most of their staff either dont comment. i have been asked if i'd like them in bags which i have politely declined. and plastic bags are something i feel quite strongly about just liked blardy cucmbers in plastic wrap- maybbe i'll leave that behind next time

Lizum Mon 14-Jul-08 22:52:54

It seems mad that on one hand supermarkets are promoting not using bags e.g. Tesco's green points, Sainsbury's nectar points and Asda's vouchers for school promotion yet most of their staff don't seem to have been trained to discourage bag use, especially in Tesco express etc. They automatically start putting your stuff in bags. They should be trained to ask "Do you need a bag". Bunch of hypocrites.

LookingForwardToSummer Tue 15-Jul-08 11:38:40

I always say 'no extra bags please' or 'I don't need any extra bags thank you' at the start, that seems to do the job. It's just maddening when they put stuff like pre packed salami in another bag, and the wrapped cucumbers. I might get some of those onya bags from the thread below for things like shallots which do really need to be in a bag.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now