Talk

Advanced search

wtf do I do with an old, untunable piano?

(14 Posts)
Fillyjonk Mon 02-Jun-08 23:08:03

I have stuck it on freecycle but oddly no takers hmm

It is too big and heavy for the council to lift

It seems a shame to chuck it in landfill, it is a piece of history in many ways. But my house is too small for pieces of history, I need a nice big shelving unit grin

(Someone IS going to link to a site that converts pianos to shelving units grin)

Am in cardiff btw if anyone wants an old, untunable piano grin

I just don't know what to DO with the thing. <sigh>.

TooTicky Mon 02-Jun-08 23:24:13

Why is it untunable?

Are there any wood revamping places near you? There is somewhere here that takes anything wooden and either restores or recycles into beautiful things.

whomovedmychocolate Mon 02-Jun-08 23:25:33

What's it made of? Scrap metal merchant for the metal bits/ compost recycle the wood and make shelves?

Why is it untuneable?

VeniVidiVickiQV Mon 02-Jun-08 23:26:30

get someone to make it tuneable?

NoBiggy Mon 02-Jun-08 23:28:38

We had a duff piano years ago. A chap came and took it for scrap as I remember, I think he had an ad in the local paper.

SO I would suggest scrap merchants, would house clearance people be interested? Or contact a piano repairer locally and see if they can use it for parts or know anyone who might.

Fillyjonk Mon 02-Jun-08 23:34:24

oh soundboard buggered, it holds the tune for about a month after piano tuner comes and then goes

i love the technicalities of instruments but if I am honest we don't even slightly have space for it

(I mUST go to bed, dp is telling me off)

It just makes me so sad to scrap it though.

It has had a long and productive life as a pub piano and is basically utterly knackered sad

notjustmom Mon 02-Jun-08 23:41:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Califrau Mon 02-Jun-08 23:53:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TooTicky Tue 03-Jun-08 06:41:56

Put it in the garden and grow lengthy root veg in it?

GordontheGopher Tue 03-Jun-08 06:48:27

My sister's going to turn hers into a minibar!

Fillyjonk Tue 03-Jun-08 09:23:15

<sob>

it has to go

god i am tempted to stick it in the garden

I could presumably pay a removal firm to move it out to my own garden...

Rubbishremover Tue 21-Jun-11 00:09:43

I run a clearance company ( down in London ) From my experience if you can find somebody to tune the piano then you should be able to sell for a reasonable amount ( possibly a few hundred quid if exterior in good condition )

Usually Buyer is more than happy to arrange collection. I suspect many are Furniture Dealers but hey, who cares ?!

You'd be surprised how many people are out there seeking pianos !

Good luck !

M

ragged Thu 07-Jul-11 19:42:35

Neighbours bashed theirs up for firewood <<Unhelpful>>

throckenholt Thu 07-Jul-11 20:17:26

apparently there is a good market for scrap metal at present so may well be worth contact a local dealer - he may take it away for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now