Talk

Advanced search

Best website to buy reusable shopping bags?

(30 Posts)
Lulumama Mon 04-Feb-08 16:31:14

Had a look at this site www.plasticbagfree.com

they recommend a couple of sites, but one has wildly expensive string bags... £35 each ! shock anyone know of cheaper alternatives? they canvas totes are cheap, but a bit boring. i want to be ethical and funky grin

one site has been trying to load for 15 minutes..hmm

any thoughts?

lostandlonely Mon 04-Feb-08 16:33:07

think there was a company called the string bag company?

Lulumama Mon 04-Feb-08 16:34:02

have googled and found a string bag lady, but she is having a gap year grin
thank you though !

greenday Mon 04-Feb-08 16:42:04

I've been using Onya bags for a couple of years now and they still serve me very well. they are made from recycled parachute material and can carry 4 times the weight of a normal shopping bag. They fold oh-so easily and are so convenient to bring around. Highly recommended! They should show up on Google.

Lulumama Mon 04-Feb-08 17:02:41

Thanks, will have a look, found some string bags for £6.50 each in pretty colours too !

NorksDrift Mon 04-Feb-08 17:08:40

This place has some nice bags.

Lulumama Mon 04-Feb-08 17:43:18

thank you , norks, they look pretty !

the onya bag site was down.

sophy Mon 04-Feb-08 19:28:45

Turtle Bags:

www.turtlebags.co.uk/_wsn/page2.html

Lulumama Mon 04-Feb-08 19:35:33

thanks sophy, i had found that site before, but it was refusing to load. it is working now, and just what i am looking for. thank you

paow Tue 05-Feb-08 13:23:13

Hi, I saw the best bag with bags ever called trolley dolly, it has mesh bags, bags for every ocassion inside one single one that fits into your handbag, really want one! will have to wait until pay day.
check out www.zpm.com

greenecomum Sat 01-Mar-08 13:57:13

Organic cotton string bags are sold for £5 each by www.ecoproductsuk.co.uk smile.
They also sell a pack of 6 string bags for £26.50.

redwino Sat 01-Mar-08 13:58:41

E-bay usually has string bags.

Lulumama Sat 01-Mar-08 13:59:23

thanks, had seen the ZPM bag, i do like it.

thanks for all the links and info !

Elf Sat 01-Mar-08 17:40:20

Another satisfied Onya bag customer here.

whitetulips Mon 21-Jul-08 19:41:44

I just got a trolley dolly today, it has loads of bags with it, don't think I will ever neeed a carrier bag ever again, and it look great

Takver Mon 21-Jul-08 20:23:31

I love onya bags too - as does my Mum (in fact she bought them for all her friends) and my MiL - I reckon any thing that they two of them agree on just has to be perfect grin

FluffyMummy123 Mon 21-Jul-08 20:23:53

Message withdrawn

MadBadandDangeroustoKnow Tue 22-Jul-08 23:29:04

Our local authority gives them away at community events. Don't they all?

solo Tue 22-Jul-08 23:30:56

I make them. Not string ones, but strong fabric ones...going to start selling them soon...grin

suedonim Wed 23-Jul-08 00:55:24

I've ordered bags from Onya and the string bag company, but what a palava! sad Onya have a weird payment system that doesn't accept credit cards so you either have to send a cheque or set up a Paypal account or do a money transfer and let them know when the money has gone out of your account. How bizarre is that?? The string bag people also means paying by PP but at least you don't have to actually set up an account.

Takver Wed 23-Jul-08 13:06:26

I guess its because they're still small - we run a mail order business and until you have a sizeable turnover its hard to get a card merchant account (and they charge you a fortune). Quite a few shops sell the onya bags though.

suedonim Wed 23-Jul-08 17:39:38

Blummin' 'eck, now they've doubled my order. hmm It's ok if they don't accept CC's but whatever they use instead should be simple. nor drive one to drink.

Miaou Wed 23-Jul-08 17:46:43

I'm looking into making reusable bags at the moment, which are very strong but pack away into a handbag - made from parachute fabric! I will let people know when I have made a prototype (I'm not thinking of charging a lot for them and you can pay me by paypal wink)

Miaou Wed 23-Jul-08 17:48:38

ooh solo, hadn't seen your message when I posted blush, sorry, not trying to steal your custom!

morethanyoubargainfor Wed 23-Jul-08 17:52:40

Another vote for Onya bags, they are just great, and even my Ds loves to take his to school when they ask for a plastic bag to be sent in, I think he is trying to convert the school to no plastic! grin he is only 5!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now