Talk

Advanced search

Composting - What do I actually need? What do I do?

(4 Posts)
Hulababy Wed 03-Oct-07 11:45:08

Something that has been interesting me for a bit, as we do need to start recycling more of our waste.

But I know nothing about composting or what is actually involved....

Can you enlighten me please?

Hulababy Wed 03-Oct-07 11:45:36

Oh and what can you put in the compost?

For example, someone suggested that when i clean out the gerbils - that can go in it too - is that true?

lljkk Thu 04-Oct-07 05:47:20

Depends what the gerbils are bedded on, but yes, probably. Sawdust, wood shavings, MegaZorb, newspaper -- all of that is compostible. So are all raw veg and fruit bits, toilet rolls (the cardboard bit), eggshell boxes, paper bags, old paper towels, natural fabrics like cotton & wool and eggshells are ok, too (says our council). Toilet rolls, Fabric/paper ideally shredded or ripped to small pieces first.

Must not put in faeces or cooked food (health and vermin hazards respectively). Mind you, I cast bread crumbs in mine, anyway.

These are options, assuming you have a garden:

1) have a condensed pile in messy corner of the garden you just keep adding stuff to it.
2) have some type of container that doesn't decompose or decomposes slowly. We used a concrete coal bunker for a few years, more recently DH built a wooden frame bin (it will slowly rot, but takes years).
3) A lot of councils flog Tardis-shaped plastic bins for a subsidised price. They have a lid and no bottom, you just put stuff in top.

Whatever sort you have, it's optimal if you shift the whole thing once a year; there will be rich soil out the bottom, and the area underneath will be ultra fertile the next year.

There are kitchen composters too for people w/out gardens (Google it).

Councils collect compostible materials in some areas for as little as £30/yr, providing you with a storage bin, too. Advantage of council scheme is you can throw all cooked waste food in there, the Council Compost heaps get hot enough to cook any would-be vermin.

Ahem....You can accelerate decomposition by adding human urine to the top. Otherwise you will need to throw in some water ocasionally anyway.

lljkk Thu 04-Oct-07 05:47:57

*Oh, but rodent faeces are okay, it's stuff like dog/cat/people pooh to leave out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now