Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Whats the greenest way to dry clothes in cold wet weather?

(33 Posts)
EmsMum Fri 21-Sep-07 14:27:34

I've been trying to line dry more (well, I use an airer actually cos don't have line, and that has the advantage of being able to get it all inside quickly when it rains).

OK in summer, even this one. But whats best now the season has changed? We're trying not to have the central heating on yet so can't hang over radiators.

And is there any way to get non-crispy towels other than tumble dry?

NAB3 Fri 21-Sep-07 14:28:26

How big is your siring cupboard? I have an airer in there and things dry over night.

Tottie32 Fri 21-Sep-07 14:29:53

i put on airer overnight

DumbledoresGirl Fri 21-Sep-07 14:32:06

I only have a line outside or an indoor airer. No tumble dryer, no radiators and airing cupboard is full of water tank so no room in there either.

I put washing outside whenever possible (even half an hour outside makes a difference) or else hang the clothes on the airer and hide the airer in the dining room. I find one load of washing on the airer takes 24 hours to dry so that fits quite well most of the time with one wash every night.

EmsMum Fri 21-Sep-07 14:32:46

Quite big but it always seems to be full of damp towels (used ones I mean). I do use it for some stuff already - flat-drying woolies etc.

Like the typo. siring cupboard sounds like special place to introduce my dog to a nice little bitch grin.

ellehcim Fri 21-Sep-07 14:33:19

Only way to avoid the crispiness that I've found is to put them away slightly damp but the danger is that they then don't dry off properly and smell musty.
Despite all of my green efforts I just can't bear to part with the tumble drier where towels are concerned.

southeatsastras Fri 21-Sep-07 14:33:25

i hate drying clothes this time of year. i've resorted to sticking things in front of the oven to dry before.

fingerwoman Fri 21-Sep-07 14:33:31

our stuff just gets put on clothes horses.
try putting some white vinegar in with your towels, that should soften them a bit (won't be quite as good as tumbling though)

NAB3 Fri 21-Sep-07 14:33:44

grin Didn't even notice!!! There should be an edit button.....

flamingtoaster Fri 21-Sep-07 14:38:22

If I can't dry the washing outside it goes on an airer in the bathroom with the window open and the door closed. Even on damp days it's amazing how well it will dry.

Minum Fri 21-Sep-07 18:47:29

Towels go on the banister upstairs, shirts etc on hangers in doorways and small things on the airer - all dry overnight, so I can put them away first thing.

Whats the problem with crispy towels ? Fantastic for a quick all over exfoliation after a shower.

Rowlers Fri 21-Sep-07 18:52:41

Agree with Dumbledoresgirl - I hang washing out in the middle of winter on a clear, breezy day.
If you use an airer in the house, ensure you open windows as the water will need to escape somewhere!

Highlander Fri 21-Sep-07 20:08:57

Ijust hanfg them on airers in the house. In winter I tumble dry my towels and sheets

Tottie32 Fri 21-Sep-07 20:50:00

i prefer crispy towels dont like them soft...

southeatsastras Fri 21-Sep-07 20:57:10

so do i, more absorbent grin

FrannyandZooey Fri 21-Sep-07 20:58:52

We have constant airer in kitchen, and will use tops of doors and landing if necessary

I don't actually have a washing line blush I have a thing about having my knickers hung outside for people to see

southeatsastras Fri 21-Sep-07 21:01:33

grin f & z

i put mine, arranged in the washing basket and leave it in the sun. no-one can see your pants then. grin

FrannyandZooey Fri 21-Sep-07 21:02:51

ooh they could if they peered SEA

FrannyandZooey Fri 21-Sep-07 21:03:29

not that my pants these days are much to write home about, actually

but by god they used to be

southeatsastras Fri 21-Sep-07 21:04:02

grin oo-er

NannyL Fri 21-Sep-07 21:14:01

Mine go out on the line for afew hours while its not raining.... then they arnt soaking and spend about a day in the airing cupboard and hey presto dry clothes!

I find that if it isnt raining my clothes get mostly dry on the line... but then it i a VERY high line and always seems to have a good breeze even when not windy

AeFondKiss Fri 21-Sep-07 21:26:57

I have a shed which is great for cold wet days, it has a roof and two sides....

f&z the briefest of knickers dry so quickly, and I like mine to get a good airing... though I live in the middle of a field, so there are no washing line voyeurs to inspect my undies...

EmsMum Fri 21-Sep-07 21:45:24

The problem with crispy towels is that DD thinks it is cruel and unusual punishment. Ditto stiff pyjamas.

I shall rethink airing cupboard shelving and see if I can make it accommodate an airing rack.

Thanks, and I'm glad someone managed to subvert the topic onto undie voyeurism a bit.

Tottie32 Fri 21-Sep-07 22:03:01

does ironing them take the crispy bits out?

Bodkin Fri 28-Sep-07 10:29:38

Can I just add.... Sheila Maid! Airing rack on pulleys so you can hoist it up to the warmer air at the ceiling. Fab. Sort of nice and homely looking too smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now