Talk

Advanced search

Going more veggie?

(11 Posts)
harrisey Thu 20-Sep-07 11:50:34

We've been thinking a lot about living more ehtincally in many ways, adn one of the things we have come up with is to eat more veggie food.

Because of animal welfare, though we're not of the 'meat is murder camp' the envionmental impact of meat farming - so much food that could be eaten, esp in the developing world, goes to feed meat animals instead, because there is now a global grain shortage due to so much food crops going for biofuels, and for our own sakes - we eat far too much meat (most days, dh has more than me but I only maybe have one veggie day a week.

Has anyone done this? Does anyone have any tips? Can anyone think of any other good reasons.

I'm most amazed by it as it was dh's idea. Mr "if a furry creatue didnt die for my tea its not worth eating".

And is there anywhere good to get veggie recepies? What about good veggie stuff for kids (ds is practically veggie anyway, as he doesnt like meat).

And -- do you agree? Is Veggie a more ethical way to eat?

I'll post more when we get round to making more changes. This is one of the easier ones!

expatinscotland Thu 20-Sep-07 11:51:46

it's certainly a much cheaper way to eat, we've found!

harrisey Thu 20-Sep-07 17:37:17

yet another attraction, expat!!! (seeing as how I am a stingy scot!)

melpomene Thu 20-Sep-07 17:44:51

I don't have time for a long post, but The Vegetarian Society should be one of your first ports of call.

A very good recipe book, especially if you have under 5s, is 'Veggie Food for Kids' by Sara Lewis.

Arti Fri 21-Sep-07 00:11:39

Also check out www.viva.org.uk

schilke Sat 22-Sep-07 13:15:45

It's meant to be healthier I think. lower rate of certain cancers in veggies.

All 6 of us are veggie. Dh & I have been veggie for 12 years. I'm not sure how you'll peruade you're meat obsessed dh though hmm

harrisey Sat 22-Sep-07 16:49:07

Well its his idea so I hope he'll go for it a bit anyway. We're not cutting out all meat, just cutting down. We eat a lot of stir fries, curries etc which will hopefully translate relatively well to meat-free so that could help.

Thanks

oregonianabroad Sat 22-Sep-07 16:54:58

we eat veggie 4-5 nights at least for the same reason. it makes us feel healthier and means we have to keep trying new recipes.

as far as ethics, just watch your food miles.

schilke Sat 22-Sep-07 17:42:34

Sorry - read it too quickly - didn't notice that you said it was your dh's idea!

harrisey Tue 25-Sep-07 09:04:01

We're the best food-miles readers! Dd (7) is really good now t reading the country adn sayins 'but why would we want apples from the USA?'

We do buy things freighted in from far away - but only bananas and some tropical fruit very occasionally, and then only fairtrade (I refuse to buy food or flowers from developing countries that aren't fairtade - I've seen enough on a couple of trips to central america to stop me ever buying a non-fairly traded banana or cup of coffee again!). We gave up eating things like mange tout (though I love them) as they are almost always from Thailand or Peru or Kenya, and who knows what conditions they were grown in and how fast they were transported?

We had a pretty veggie weekend - veggie curry on Fri night, homemade lentil soup, chickpea stew, and we cooked less chicken than normal for Sun lunch and more veg - made nutty stuffing - and didnt notice the difference. Pleased with ourselves! Its actually really interesting trying out new things and doing something that can make a difference.

harrisey Tue 25-Sep-07 09:05:19

We are noticing the change in our bowels as well! All these pulses must be goodfor us???

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now