Talk

Advanced search

Surely there's a good washing powder out there somewhere?

(24 Posts)
HMArsey Fri 08-Nov-19 09:50:43

I prefer powder to liquid, as I find liquid makes the machine smell.

Stains are coming out (except washable pads, I'm not expecting miracles with that abattoir level of carnage grin), but odours are not.

Any suggestions? I've tried Bio-D, and added their nappy soak stuff. I've tried Splosh's biological powder. What next?

I'm not bothered about smelling like washing powder, I just want something that's up to the challenge of sporty armpits and an unreliable pelvic floor.

Ninjava Fri 08-Nov-19 10:25:03

Violets?

HMArsey Fri 08-Nov-19 13:41:39

Thanks. I'd never heard of that brand, but now I've looked it up I don't think I can justify the price.

Would adding soda crystals do anything?

yellowallpaper Fri 08-Nov-19 21:56:50

Ecover are ok. Used it years ago and was ok

MrsPellegrinoPetrichor Fri 08-Nov-19 21:59:19

Soda crystals work well one.

Soap nuts?

absolutezero0k Fri 08-Nov-19 22:00:54

Don't want to sound daft but is there a reason for not using fairy?

Also, do you speak the pads in cold water with salt before washing? It works really well.

HMArsey Sat 09-Nov-19 07:55:49

Good question absolute, I had presumed that ‘eco’ products are better for the environment than mainstream ones. Am I wrong? Also, is there anything wrong by default with biological powder? I know Ecover do a biological one.

I tried soap nuts and didn’t find they cleaned very well, maybe I should give them another go.

I’m a bit lazy with soaking, I’m afraid, I just put pads on a rinse cycle then wash them.

NannyR Sat 09-Nov-19 08:03:38

I think if you are going for an eco product you just have to accept that you will have some staining. I use Lidl formil bio powder which is pretty cheap and gets my washable pads really clean, I soak them and do a short cold rinse cycle first though.

HMArsey Sat 09-Nov-19 08:16:24

Yes, the staining is fine on pads, I’m not bothered by it. The thread is about finding an eco powder that gets odours out.

StainlessSteelCat Sat 09-Nov-19 10:44:41

I haven't found a powder of any eco/non-eco variety that removes body odour time after time. I'm aware it's non-eco,but I use an anti bacterial liquid in the fabric softener drawer every so often and finds that works. Is there an eco equivalent?

redchocolatebutton Sat 09-Nov-19 10:48:16

ecover bio is great.
try occassionally washing at a higher temperature and try to use the long eco cycles. they are both better for the fabric as well as using less water and electricity.

sueH1983 Sat 09-Nov-19 11:05:39

Ecover is owned by a not very nice company now btw. Kind of negates their eco friendly credentials. I just use Aldi 2 in one powder. Leaping bunny certified and comes in a cardboard box.

HMArsey Sat 09-Nov-19 15:00:54

That’s why I really want Splosh and Bio D to work, they’re UK companies with eco credentials.

Maybe the anti bac liquid is unavoidable, grr.

First I’ll have a go at adding soda crystals to the Bio D and see what that does, at least that’s a cheap experiment!

Carpathian2 Sat 09-Nov-19 15:10:51

Have you tried running a boil wash with bicarbonate and white vinegar to get rid of the smell? I do mine once a month and use Smol ( works out really cheap), but they are liquid and you say you prefer powder.

HMArsey Sat 09-Nov-19 15:42:38

I’m not sure the fabric would cope with boiling. It’s certain areas of the clothes, not the washer, that smell.

HMArsey Sat 09-Nov-19 15:47:29

Ooh, I love the Smol packaging! It’s not clear on their website how you actually buy anything, is it subscription only? If it’s actually going to work to get the stink out of the clothes maybe I should give liquid tablet things a go, and do the monthly maintenance wash instead.

Trewser Sat 09-Nov-19 15:50:27

Honestly, by the time you've washed and washed and tried this brand and that brand ...just buy a box of ariel bio for the pads and gym kit.

Blueuggboots Sat 09-Nov-19 15:53:03

We use smol for both washing and dishwasher stuff.

PhotoOfAGoatInABoat Sat 09-Nov-19 15:53:19

I wash sweaty armpit teenage sports kits with Splosh powder and a blob of their stain remover under the pits of tops as they go in. Everything comes out smelling fresh, and it’s been brilliant at removing all stains so far.

theneverendinglaundry Sat 09-Nov-19 16:12:02

Would the ecover oxy bleach be worth a go? Or the bio D oxy bleach?

I have not yet found eco laundry products that a) I can afford and b) work well enough for me. So I'm just sticking to the mainstream products for now.

HMArsey Sat 09-Nov-19 16:30:52

Very apt username for this thread neverending. grin I’d worry about using anything with bleach in the name on dark or coloured clothes. Have you tried those?

redchocolatebutton Sat 09-Nov-19 16:42:44

a vinegar spray (half and half vinegar & water in a spray bottle) works well with underarm smells.
another thought - are you/is dc washing properly with soap?

HMArsey Sat 09-Nov-19 17:17:52

Yep, a good scrub with bar soap every day. Never had this problem before going eco with laundry stuff.

How long after spraying do you put the clothes into the machine?

theneverendinglaundry Sat 09-Nov-19 20:19:12

@hmarsey haha, yes, laundry is taking over my life.

I haven't actually tried them, so I'm not sure how they'd be on coloured clothes.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »