Talk

Advanced search

Which reusable products have saved you money?

(30 Posts)
gotmychocolateimgood Tue 25-Jun-19 20:45:00

Trying to be frugal as I'm giving up work due to poor health. Looking for ideas for sustainable living which do the job well! Any suggestions please?

OP’s posts: |
moreismore Tue 25-Jun-19 20:48:08

Cheeky wipes

firstimemamma Tue 25-Jun-19 20:51:23

Reusable wipes! Just bought cheap £land flannels, use for everything except nappy changes outside the home and poo!

Bar soap instead of shower gel and hand wash.

Soubriquet Tue 25-Jun-19 20:56:46

Reusable sanitary towels

Haven’t bought any in over a year grin

Tidypidy Tue 25-Jun-19 20:57:24

Bamboo breast pads - only useful if breastfeeding though!

dementedma Tue 25-Jun-19 21:00:25

Soap
Shampoo bar
Washable cloths
Canvas shopping bags
Refill washing up liquid
Ocean pod cleaning products

northender Tue 25-Jun-19 21:04:47

Mooncup, mine is at least 12 years old!
make your own wipes from fleece
bars of soap instead of liquid

gotmychocolateimgood Tue 25-Jun-19 21:05:44

Great ideas thanks.
I'm not buying any more disposable wipes!
I'm getting a big pack of cleaning cloths so will wash and reuse those.
Reusable sanitary wear ordered from ebay.
We have a few Flannels but could do with more... I'll pop to £ land this weekend.
Are soap eco eggs any good for washing clothes?

OP’s posts: |
Zhx3 Tue 25-Jun-19 21:10:19

Mooncup! I must have saved a fortune over the years.

ThighsRelief Tue 25-Jun-19 21:15:40

White distilled vinegar instead of fabric softener. Vinegar and washing up liquid are the only cleaning products you need. I put a third of the washing powder in the drawer and a couple of tablespoons of soda crystals. I tried vinegar instead of rinse aid in the dishwasher but it doesn't work.

Damp dusting instead of polish (unless very nice wood).

Old fashioned cooking, bread and butter pudding and rice pudding.

SciFiScream Tue 25-Jun-19 21:16:56

Metal straws
Sandwich wrappers
Menstrual cup
Washable nappies
Rechargeable batteries
Face cloths

NannyR Tue 25-Jun-19 21:19:45

Dishcloths rather than those scrubby sponges for washing up - they can be washed and reused for years rather than being thrown away after a week or two.
Washable sanitary towels - I spent about £30 six years ago and they should last me till I no longer need them.
Cotton flannels rather than those plastic shower puffs.

ThighsRelief Tue 25-Jun-19 21:20:23

Save any food wrappers (inside of cereal boxes) to reuse as sandwich bags. Tesco have a thermos coffee cup for £2. Porridge not cereal. Bulk out mince with value carrots.

SciFiScream Tue 25-Jun-19 21:21:49

Water bottles
Travel mugs
Flasks
Hot water bottles
Hankies

ThighsRelief Tue 25-Jun-19 21:22:54

Use those charity bags that come through the door as bin bags if you can hide them in your wheelie bin.

Reuse envelopes, reuse the back page of junk mail for shopping lists etc.

Join the library.

ThighsRelief Tue 25-Jun-19 21:23:51

Throws on the sofa instead of putting on the heating.

ThighsRelief Tue 25-Jun-19 21:25:21

No to kitchen roll, tissues and wipes. Cloths, hankies and flannels - pretend it's the 70s grin

CATTY15 Tue 25-Jun-19 21:28:23

Reusable Henry Hoover bags.
I used to make scrap paper pads by cutting up school letters, I've got 3 kids so used to get loads! Now they've all gone electronic shock.

Chasingsquirrels Tue 25-Jun-19 21:34:05

Mooncup.
Cereal and bread bags reused as dog poo bags.

Isleepinahedgefund Tue 25-Jun-19 21:47:19

I have a folding reusable coffee cup that saves me money every time I buy a coffee and saves the environment a cup every time I use it. Because it folds up I take it pretty much everywhere with me - I found the non folding ones cumbersome and so hardly ever took it anywhere with me.

Flannels/cloths in place of wipes/kitchen roll

Reusable shopping bags - again for me the key was neat little fold up ones that are a decent size. Now I carry one all the time.

Micro fibre Make up removing cloths (instead of makeup wipes. They do a much better job anyway, and I just use one each evening if I've worn makeup and chuck it in with the towel. I get them from primark - the fabric is important and it's not just a regular flannel.

Reusable snack bags - I sewed my own with cotton outer and food grade waterproof inner fabric. No more freezer bags in the packed lunch boxes!

SciFiScream Tue 25-Jun-19 21:57:14

A biggie! My bike. It's now 23 years old and when brand new cost me £140. I've spent about £200 on it over the years (new handle bar grips, new freewheel hub, new tyre).

ThighsRelief Tue 25-Jun-19 22:00:10

Anywhere you go take home i used paper napkins, I've been refilling my tissue box for months.

Hang washing out, dryer only to finish off.

Water down bleach.

IntoValhalla Tue 25-Jun-19 22:01:10

- Mooncup instead of tampons. I haven’t bought a single disposable sanitary product in a few years now.
- Cheeky wipes
- I now use mostly Lush products (facial cleanser, shower jellies, shampoo bars etc) all the packaging is either recyclable or reusable. While some products seem pricey on the surface - for example, my cleanser is £15 a tub, but the tub will last me a good 4 months using it twice a day.
- Cloth nappies for toddler and new baby when she arrives
- Wax food wrap instead of cling film

ThighsRelief Tue 25-Jun-19 22:02:28

If you have a frugal pal or relative make a pact to check if one has surplus of something before you buy.

My mum and I swap around duvets, pans, gadgets all the time.

BuildingQuote Tue 25-Jun-19 22:08:56

This isn’t exactly the same but I now buy my washing up liquid in a huge bottle and top up the normal sized one from it - wish I’d done this years ago as saved money and plastic and I love not running out too! It’s an eco brand I found on amazon

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in