Talk

Advanced search

where can I buy a nightie online for my 4 year old that isn't made by slaves?

(23 Posts)
MrsCurly Mon 16-Jul-07 21:27:42

Preferably in cotton?

It doesn't have to be organic, just not made by slaves.

Thank you.

bobsmum Wed 18-Jul-07 15:47:19

Gossypium.co.uk

bobsmum Wed 18-Jul-07 15:48:16

oops sorry - just PJs - but v nice.

oliveoil Wed 18-Jul-07 15:48:21

lol at title

no idea though

Boden?

CountessDracula Wed 18-Jul-07 15:56:19

Could you make one yourself??

TenaLady Wed 18-Jul-07 15:57:37

Not sure I would be able to tell if they were made by slaves.

Good idea to make one yourself.

bobsmum Wed 18-Jul-07 15:58:04

http://www.adili.com/girls_clothing/c36846-1.html

Can't see any nighties, but there's some gorgeous stuff here

purpleturtle Wed 18-Jul-07 15:59:13

Do M&S do them? I'm currently working on the (possibly naive and misguided) basis that any high street store that's pushing its green credentials hard, and setting up ethical investment funds etc etc is not easily going to get itself caught out by selling children's clothes made by children, IYSWIM.

suzycreamcheese Wed 18-Jul-07 16:07:28

title is funny..but it does sound like you dont
mind other clothes being made by slaves!

i heard m&s were going to do ethical range maybe hopefully others should follow suit

how old is she? greenbaby have organic, kind to world clothes..and have website to order from but its for babies and toddlers

i think this would be so hard to determine and often wonder if more expensive clothing is also slave-made but with better materials and....more profit for vendor

Furzella Wed 18-Jul-07 16:42:29

Buying a nightie at all seems to be almost impossible! My dd2 is on a big skirt mission and refuses to wear pyjamas so it has to be a nightie. Practically no one has them. The White Company does and so does Boden, but I don't know about their ethical credential - will have a look at labels when I get home tonight and see where they're made. In the end I bought some lawn fabric from Liberty and asked Granny to make one (too completely incompetent to do it myself). Sorry, doesn't really answer your OP.

Enid Wed 18-Jul-07 16:44:05

it is impossible to find cotton nighties online

I buy cotton jersey summer dresses frm mothercare and use those

and I am going to make dd2 one with tsome lovely fairy fabric I found

Sazisi Fri 20-Jul-07 23:46:28

the white company do really very nice nighties..not sure where they stand ethically tho'

AlwaysWatchingCastawayAt2am Fri 20-Jul-07 23:51:26

my dd has two of these and they are absolutely gorgeous. i bought age 2/3 when she was 18 months old and they still fit her now she is nearly 4.

MrsMarvel Fri 20-Jul-07 23:53:11

Boden do great cotton nighties but they are probably not ethical.

Next does fair trade clothes - we have a couple of their t-shirts. In fact there's a sale on there tomorrow I think.

MrsMarvel Fri 20-Jul-07 23:58:54

Here's more about the M&S range

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4660410.stm

Flibbertyjibbet Sat 21-Jul-07 00:06:06

Lovely nighties LovelyCastaway but (well if I didn't have two BOYS!!!) I'd really be put off buying from them cos every one has sleeve or long sleeved spelt sleave or longsleaved!

AlwaysWatchingCastawayAt2am Sat 21-Jul-07 00:16:18

the shop owner is french - let's be gentle with her!

Flibbertyjibbet Sat 21-Jul-07 00:22:58

OMG the pyjamas in her 'spring sale' are fab, thank god not in any sizes that would fit my two though!

If the misspelling puts me off then it might put other customers off also, so if you know the seller you might tip her off?

Is Liberty fabric ethically produced? Just interested.

AlwaysWatchingCastawayAt2am Sat 21-Jul-07 09:30:30

i can't work out how to do that without her working out who i am!

Flibbertyjibbet Sat 21-Jul-07 14:52:05

I might just put her right as an interested customer.. I'll enquire whether she has any of the jammies in a smaller size and say oh by the way...

I used to do grants for websites for small businesses and one of the things we did before paying out the money was check all the website for mistakes that the web builders make or for spelling etc as bad presentation makes the business look unprofessional.

AlwaysWatchingCastawayAt2am Sat 21-Jul-07 16:38:08

thank you. i'm sure she'd appreciate it. In terms of ethical production, i know the bags are made specifically to her requirements in france. I suspect the nightwear is french-made too, but not sure.

hazygirl Sat 21-Jul-07 16:44:04

my grandaugher had op for removing a kidney last month and we had to get nighties due to cathetar it was a bloody nightmare,but her great granny got some in woolworths and a couple in m and s ,but not sure if slaves did them but its hard to get nighties for 2 year olds

Desiderata Sat 21-Jul-07 17:08:54

If by slaves you mean people who are financially exploited in poor regions of the world, then I'll happily run you one up!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: