Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Adding Essential Oils to washing

(7 Posts)
ZisforZebra Fri 13-Jul-07 20:14:51

At the moment we are using Ecover but I'm considering switching to the Ecoball but would love to fragrence the washing with EOs. Do I just pop some in the washing machine powder drawer or do I need to mix it with something first?

I once added lemon EO to my iron and it didn't end well so that's why i'm seeking advice this time!

Stargazing Fri 13-Jul-07 20:19:56

I use soap nuts and add a few drops of lavender or lemon straight on to the laundry items - it disperses during the course of the wash - just 3-5 drops straight on to random bits of clothing. Smells lovely!

EvilStepWitch Thu 16-Aug-07 11:14:37

Hi ZisforZebra

Hope you check in on this thread - the best way to fragrance your laundry naturally is to add 50ml of white vinegar with 2/3 drops of essential oil to the final rinse cycle (where you would normally put your fabric softner). I absolutely promise you, your laundry will not smell of vinegar!

Highlander Sat 18-Aug-07 17:03:40

ooh, sounds fab. What oils would you use? I'm not too keen on lavender, but am considering cederwood/lemon. Too bizarre?

zisforzebra Tue 04-Sep-07 20:22:49

Thanks Stargazing and Evilstepwitch (sorry for the late response, I've been forgoing MN and knitting like a demon for a while!). I've been adding EO of lavender to bedding and lemon to clothes etc when I remember but actually the ecoballs combined with outside drying just leave the clothes smelling really fresh.

ESW - I used to add vinegar to the wash to soften my reusables and it's great isn't it!

Cappuccino Wed 05-Sep-07 20:15:36

I put a couple of drops of lavender in my iron and nothing untoward happened - what went wrong with the lemon oil?

I use tea tree in with my nappies

and vinegar sometimes

(I barely use my eco-balls now because of dd1's endless chucking of tomatoes down herself so if you want to buy mine second hand just cat me. I used them for my nappies but now dd2 has toilet trained)

zisforzebra Wed 12-Sep-07 22:53:19

Cappuccino - The lemon oil just came out of the bottom of the iron and left big oil marks all over the clothes. blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now