Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How much stuff do you buy second-hand? Vintage vs boxfresh

(10 Posts)
NoraBattymeetsYoda Mon 02-Jul-07 12:40:42

I quite often pop into charity shops for dd's clothes and have found some great bargains for everyday messing around stuff.

Love hunting out stuff for myself and house too in flea-markets etc although conflict in this respect with dh who prefers to buy everything brand new. He loves to tell me I'm buying dead people's things.

Have to admit I much prefer the battered 'vintage' look to the 'box-fresh'. It's better for the environment, and, I like to think, more creative! How about you? Do you have any qualms about buying s/hand?

Aitch Mon 02-Jul-07 12:42:58

no qualms apart from shoes. i love a bargain, dd is generally clothed by the NCT sale.

expatinscotland Mon 02-Jul-07 12:45:29

Same as Aitch.

Professorfilthymindedvixen Mon 02-Jul-07 12:46:54

books, toys, vids, clothes, furniture (if quirky, ie not just someone's else's shitty old worn-out brown velour sofa! )

All clothes, except obviously underwear/shoes.

My friends and I then have clothes swap parties, so probably some of our stuff is 3rd or 4th hand

beansontoast Mon 02-Jul-07 20:48:22

id buy everything second hand if i could.ive no idea why i m such a skin flint...no idea!

i think i like the randomness of charity/carboot or jumble sale shopping..and teh good value of say ebay.

it also bypasses all that consumer choice...and teh fricking decisons that go with it..YAWN...

i love it that ds wears his cousins clothes...to me its a sort of badge of honour...it shows he belongs /is connected.new kids stuff seems really excessive to me.i think im a little extreme though.

second hand furniture can be swoonsomely cheap...

HOWEVER i have recently bought a new bikini in an expensive surf resort,hideous sunglasses in top shop and a 'lily allen' type dress....mmmmmm?

persephonesnape Mon 02-Jul-07 21:33:11

i buy as much second hand as possible. especially clothes and furniture - my two beautiful 2 / 3 seater sofas cost me £50 from the local salvation army store - which also does childrens clothing at 2 items for £1.

i buy underwear and my boys shoes first hand. dd is 11 and a size 4, so she will wear new second hand (as in tags in hideous mistake for someone else) clothing.

it's not just the green-ness. i can't really justify 1st hand clothes. occasionally my daughter gets a primark or tescos spree just so she isn't always second hand rose.

Rachmumoftwo Mon 02-Jul-07 21:50:19

I buy second hand wherever possible, but draw the line at underwear and toiletries. I love a bargain, but also buy new. I think I just love buying stuff!

dottyspots Fri 06-Jul-07 01:49:34

No probs buying secondhand except for shoes for the tiddlers and underwear.

I've also joined wardrobe refashion and have just finished a lovely summer dress for my daughter made out of one of my old skirts (but my camera's broken so I can't take a pic to post up on the wardrobe refashion website -- wail)

Smithy Fri 06-Jul-07 06:55:50

Absolutely no qualms buying secondhand - it's my favourite pastime if I get 5 mins in town! I buy the majority of my clothes from charity shops and have bagged some brilliant bargains. No-one would guess that it's second-hand as some of the items really do look brand new! I usually stick to my favourite labels - Gap/Fat Face/Next/Timberland. Last bargain - Fat Face trousers - £3.50 and Fat Face top - £2.50. I also get a few bits from eBay too. Got a brand new Driza-bone jacket less than half retail price recently (great for this lovely weather we are having!) I also shop for the boys in charity shops for clothes - yesterday I got ds1 some brand new black plimsols for 99p! NCT Nearly New Sales were a great source too, although less so now they are a bit older. I get the odd item for dh, but tbh he does prefer new. His last bargain - pair of Timberland khaki trousers for £4.00. Also get books from charity shops - got a fab GI/GL cookbook for £3.00 last week. I've had to limit my visits as I seem to find something that fits most times I go in! I lost a lot of weight over the last year and I think there is a surplus of stuff in my new size (that's my excuse anyway!)

XcupcakemummyX Fri 06-Jul-07 07:24:07

no second hand shops where i live now i miss the bargains

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now