Talk

Advanced search

Alternative places to live in the UK

(5 Posts)
Bammies71 Mon 14-Jan-19 04:06:27

Hi,

Me & my partner are looking to sell our houses towards the end of the year and buy something together.

I currently live in Holmfirth which I love, it is slightly alternative, eco-conscious, rural, beautiful scenery. I also live close to Hebden Bridge that has a lot of spiritual & nature based things going on there e.g. shamanic practices, veggie/vegan cafes, eco village, alternative schooling, foraging, nature based things for home schooled children. So we are considering a move to Hebden.

However we would love somewhere with land too to grow all our own fruit/veggies and rescue some animals (maybe start a sanctuary). We hear that Wales is much cheaper - can anyone recommend some similar places in Wales that we could consider.

Also I am in love with Cornwall, it is my second home and would love to be by the sea. I am aware that houses can be more costly there but some recommendations of places for us to check out would be great!

Land, nature, alternative schooling, veggie/vegan groups/cafes are a priority.

TIA 🙏❤️

OP’s posts: |
PlainPiglet Mon 14-Jan-19 20:35:14

What about a visit to
lammas.org.uk/en/ecovillage/visiting/

to see whether you could hack that level of alternative living?

Or next door to Cornwall - Totnes in Devon.

brizzledrizzle Mon 14-Jan-19 20:37:12

Machlyyneth?

Mutakirorikatum Wed 16-Jan-19 13:40:48

Tinkers Bubble?

www.diggersanddreamers.org.uk/communities/existing/tinkers-bubble

Lightsabre Wed 16-Jan-19 15:14:19

I would say Lewes is perfect - lovely villages just outside, close to the sea and Brighton and quite alternative. However not cheap and is in the South.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in