(17 Posts)
Middledoggetsangry Thu 29-Nov-18 11:59:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OP’s posts: |
Middledoggetsangry Fri 30-Nov-18 18:37:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OP’s posts: |
thenewaveragebear1983 Sun 02-Dec-18 15:05:18

I was told by Ecobricks that they will distribute my bricks to whoever needs/wants them- I’m a local collector. All I have to do is send them off. Does that mean that’s incorrect?

GummyGoddess Sun 02-Dec-18 16:01:45

Following as I'm happy to spend a fair bit of effort making them but I don't have any use for them personally.

thenewaveragebear1983 Sun 02-Dec-18 17:23:04

How are you getting on gummy? I’ve had various teething troubles. Punctured bottles, air pockets, I’ve struggled to get the weight up but today I’ve finally made my first one successfully.

GirlfriendInAKorma Sun 02-Dec-18 19:19:38

I have been thinking exactly the same! I am making one but have no idea what to do with it when it's full...

Atalune Sun 02-Dec-18 19:21:58

We have made 2, 700g each which is a bugger!

Dh has partnered with the local primary and we are going to do a small eco brick build with them.

GirlfriendInAKorma Sun 02-Dec-18 20:07:40

What size bottles are you using?

thenewaveragebear1983 Sun 02-Dec-18 20:22:02

I’ve been using 1 litre squash bottles and juice bottles. We don’t really use small 500 ml ones, although I do think they are easier. It’s the ridges on the sides I’m struggling with! My successful one was a radox bubble bath bottle, with really smooth sides. I’ve snipped this current lot into strips and tiny pieces and that seems to be an improvement too.

GummyGoddess Sun 02-Dec-18 20:39:47

It's slow and DH thinks I'm mad, but no major issues so far. The key seems to be small pieces as PP said and very slowly tamping down with a spoon handle.

Considering seeing if I can make a raised flower bed with them but it would take a while to build up enough bricks for it, I need to research how to do it as well.

I'm thinking that even if I never find someone to use them and they end up going to landfill, at least that amount of plastic is compressed and taking up much less space.

Atalune Sun 02-Dec-18 20:42:53

2l empty water bottles. We use a stick to poke everything down! It’s very satisfying.

fourthusernamebutwhoscounting Sun 02-Dec-18 20:44:52

Raised bed is a great idea! Our primary school said they'd have to get permission from the council before using them for outside furniture hmm

VictoryOrValhalla Sun 02-Dec-18 20:46:34

I started one and joined a FB group with lots of other eco brick enthusiasts. They were all struggling to make the right weight and reporting lots of hassle tying to register them. Then I got hacked off with having lots of plastic drying all over the place and having to cut it up smaller. Real pain in the arse so I gave up. There has to be an easier way to recycle that plastic and better ways to use it than make weird looking furniture.

GummyGoddess Sun 02-Dec-18 21:04:20

Just thought that I might spray the bottom inside of the next one with a metallic-y spray paint, if it works it would mean that the flower bits will look all uniform.

DC1 enjoys cutting things up so he's in charge of cutting into little pieces for me so I don't have that hassle.

RaininSummer Sun 02-Dec-18 21:08:19

Just signed up for this. Can somebody tell me, when it says to save my plastic for 30 days, is that any kind of plastic from cling film through to tough plastics like coffee jar lids?

thenewaveragebear1983 Sun 02-Dec-18 21:53:51

Rain it’s anything not recyclable in your area. So continue to recycle everything you can, and save the rest.

You can save crisp packets separately as terracycle will be collecting them (freepost) from any time now. Recycle bags, bubble wrap, cereal bags etc at the supermarket. Everything else goes in the brick!

To he honest, 30 days worth is mammoth! I saved a week’s worth and it was so illuminating. It’s worth getting a system in place that works for you. I save mine, wash the recyclable straight away, wash the non recyclable every day or so and hang it on my sock dryer. After a few days I cut it into strips in a big paper bag, then stuff a bottle as and when I get one.

RaininSummer Mon 03-Dec-18 13:11:15

Thank you - lots to think about. I think my area is fairly good for taking plastics but, of course, I don't know for sure that they actually get recycled and not buried or incinerated. Weirdly my Mum is in the neighbouring council and they are much more fussy and wont take her yoghurt pots for example but mine will.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in