Talk

Advanced search

Conserving electricity - put computer to sleep or switch off?

(7 Posts)
crokky Wed 06-Jun-07 12:58:27

If the computer is not going to be used for an hour or so, is it better to put it to sleep and turn the monitor off, or shut down the whole system and turn it back on in an hour? If it is better to put it to sleep, how long a period of inactivity would make it better to turn it off and on again later rather than putting it to sleep? TIA.

chevre Wed 06-Jun-07 12:59:55

if you want to save electricty turn your computer off AND turn it off at the wall. putting it to sleep is useless and even if it is off but still plugged in it uses a relatively large amount of electricity.

Mung Fri 06-Jul-07 13:43:37

Crokky, did you want to find out if it used more energy whilst on for an hour or rather than turning it off and restarting it an hour later? I often wonder about this...if I know I am leaving the computer for an hour I turn it off and then turn it on again later. If its a nappy change and then bed routine, I leave it (not sure if I am doing the right thing though).

I'd like to know the real answer too.

can anyone answer out there?

hana Fri 06-Jul-07 13:44:47

was told to 'sleep' if leaving for a few hours

bamboo Fri 06-Jul-07 14:00:55

Does this help?

Mung Fri 06-Jul-07 22:08:54

Great...thanks.

Aefondkiss Sat 07-Jul-07 00:44:08

so we all need to get a lap top to save the planet?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now