Talk

Advanced search

Natural ways to fragrance the home?

(11 Posts)
jennifersarah Sun 20-May-18 08:20:25

I have just bought some essential oils but I don’t know how best to use them to scent my home? Any other tips for beautifully fragrant rooms without the synthetics?

ClaryFray Sun 20-May-18 11:51:32

Um, baking works. But it's bad for your waistline.

Oil defusers maybe?

ellwalthamstow Sun 20-May-18 13:55:08

If you boil water with lemons/citrus fruits/ herbs/ spices, you can really fill the home with scent! I also like the electronic diffusers from muji, they use a tiny amount of electric, you insert water and your chosen oil and it sends a fragranced mist with soothing colours. Have a couple in the hallways and they fill the house! X

Smeaton Sun 20-May-18 14:01:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Komorebi Sun 20-May-18 14:06:34

Get an oil burner with a tea light. Works wonders

Icklepickle101 Sun 20-May-18 14:09:01

I bought a diffuser from Amazon. I think it’s by Aukey. A few drops of oil with some water and it’s lovely.

I put cotton pads with oils on in the hoover and bottom of the bin too. Put some oil in a spray bottle and wipe over radiators and towel rails with them so when they heat up it smells beautiful

Jozxyqk Sun 20-May-18 14:12:22

For winter, make your own mulled wine / fruit juice. Baking with any spices, especially in sweet food.
For summer - do you have a garden or balcony? Could you put up hanging baskets? Lots of plants smell good, and are strong enough to be smelt indoors. Lavender, & alyssum (smells like honey) are two affordable options. Both can be kept in pots & are reasonably pretty. Alyssum will do ok in a hanging basket as well. Other herbs can smell good, at various times, for example after it's rained. An edible quince bush (a commitment of several years) smells divine in the autumn, when it's in fruit, but would need to be planted in the ground, or at least a very large pot or planter.

RibenaMonsoon Sun 20-May-18 14:13:41

I put cinnamon powder in my Hoover. The place smells amazing every time I clean.

haba Sun 20-May-18 14:25:20

On a similar note, I put a few drops of lavender oil onto a cotton wool ball and pop inside the new vacuum bag.

ParadiseLaundry Sun 20-May-18 14:31:12

I've been using a home made cleaning spray with 50% water, 50% white vinegar and thieves blend essential oil (clove,cinnamon, lemon, rosemary and eucalyptus) although you could use any oils you like. I find the scent really lingers and lasts longer than if I'm using anything else.

BigRedBoat Sun 20-May-18 15:14:35

I haven't tried it but saw a tip on YouTube about baking sliced citrus fruits on a low heat.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: