Talk

Advanced search

Tetrapacks or Plastic pots

(6 Posts)
Loonoon Fri 02-Mar-18 11:48:50

I eat a lot of Greek style yogurt and thought it would be eco friendly to make my own rather than recycling endless plastic pots so l bought a cheapo yogurt maker, basically an insulated pot and gave it a go. To my surprise it was easy, delicious and economical. But I hadn't thought it through properly, now instead of disposing of the yogurt pots I have to dispose of the tetra pack the milk I make it from comes in. That's sort of ok as we can recycle them in this area but I wonder if ecologically speaking the tetrapacks are worse than the plastic pots?

OP’s posts: |
newtlover Fri 02-Mar-18 17:10:28

can't you get milk in glass bottles? or failing that plastic bottles that can be recycled? where do you live that recycles tetra packs? they are utter bastards

TroysMammy Fri 02-Mar-18 19:17:07

I've got an Easi Yo. No milk needed just a packet of powdered yoghurt which you mix with tap water.

MongerTruffle Fri 02-Mar-18 19:19:41

www.tetrapakrecycling.co.uk/tp_locator_2014_council.asp?area=East%20of%20England&council=Peterborough
My area definitely recycles Tetrapak.

MongerTruffle Fri 02-Mar-18 19:22:24

www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/tetra-pak-versus-plastic-bottles-water

Loonoon Sat 03-Mar-18 09:16:14

Thank you everyone for your responses. That article makes me feel better MongerTruffle. I will carry on with my tetrapacks of UHT milk for the time being.

TroysMammy I have an Easi Yo too, but I found I preferred yogurt made from milk to the sachets. It's also quite a lot cheaper which is helpful.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in