Talk

Advanced search

LED lightbulbs

(5 Posts)
LapdanceShoeshine Mon 15-Jan-18 19:38:05

Almost all the lightbulbs we use are LED now - leccy bills have gone down loads , it's very satisfying, esp with the halogen replacements! (We used to have 6 x 50w in our kitchen, 300w per hour; we now have 9 x 5 watt, 45w per hour, less than a tenth of our old wastage usage).

I sourced most of them from the internet over the last couple of years & paid £6-£7 each (I think) for 100W equivalents; however, today I went to both B&M & Home Bargains & discovered both have lots in now. (Actually I just checked back on amazon & I paid £6 for one GU10 5 years ago; the same bulb is still £6 there today but I got 2 better Philips ones for £6 from B&M)

B&M have Philips & Ever Ready at approx £6 for 2, although the Philips only come in bayonet & large screw fixings (plus GU10), & only up to 60W equivalent, while the Ever Ready also have small screw, & do have some 100W equivalent in the bigger bulbs (but those are £8 for 2).

Home Bargains bulbs are cheaper but in a brand I don't know.

If you'd prefer light similar to the old tungsten bulbs you need to look for "warm white" (2700-3000k if they give a number). I have had the daylight ones & they're horrible in a house grin

The only caveat is that you can't always do a straight swap of LED for halogen - it depends on the fitments.

specialsubject Tue 16-Jan-18 15:40:31

Poundland do them now so i think you are overpaying!

LapdanceShoeshine Tue 16-Jan-18 17:13:12

Oh, I know there are cheaper ones out there - Aldi sell them too - I wasn't saying the ones I saw were super cheap, just that they were reputable brands at a much better price than they have been until quite recently.

Are the Poundland ones branded? Home Bargains, unknown brand, were £1.99. For something like this I'd rather pay a bit more for a known brand. They're going to last more or less forever - it's less than 1p a day just for a year, & they should last way longer than that!

I used one of the £3 Philips GU10 ones I got yesterday to replace the £6 supposed equivalent (from 'Long Life Lamp Company' on amazon) in a small shower room & the difference is astonishing. Philips are really good!

100YearsOfVote Mon 22-Jan-18 21:16:44

I've started buying A++ Rated LED bulbs that's you can change to any colour with a remote. Also motion sensor bulbs for hallways.

About £7 each from Amazon.

specialsubject Wed 31-Jan-18 14:04:35

Don't care about brand as long as it isn't amazon. Most of the stuff comes from the same factory anyway.

Poundland leds are lasting well.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: