Talk

Advanced search

Coffee recommendations

(13 Posts)
thepatchworkcat Sun 12-Mar-17 11:32:19

I'm getting rid of my coffee pod machine, partly as it seems to be at the end of its life, but also because I've been feeling guilty about the environmental impact of the pods. I absolutely love decent coffee and instant doesn't really cut it any more. Can anyone recommend a decent but ethical alternative to a machine? Possibly down the route of beans/grinder or ready ground. Interested in deliciousness plus ethical plus ideally not too expensive! Thanks in advance.

PlectrumElectrum Sun 12-Mar-17 11:41:59

I think you can get a pretty decent cup from a cafetière. I've got a coffee machine but rarely use it cos of the faff & it's quicker/easier just boiling a kettle for the cafeteria & warming milk on the hob or microwave. I've got a grinder & like getting a nice expensive coffee occasionally (I can spend ages staring at the various options in a whittard shop) but I've recently discovered a really nice (pre-ground) coffee called Percol. It's fair trade & has a few options & not expensive at all - I picked it up in Tesco when on offer & really like it.

thepatchworkcat Sun 12-Mar-17 12:03:22

Great thanks Plectrum!

Optimist1 Sun 12-Mar-17 12:36:39

I agree with Plectrum that a cafetiere makes good coffee. I buy pre-ground and my favourite is Cafe Direct Fairtrade Columbia which has a strong, rich flavour. Ocado frequently has it on offer, and it's also available in Waitrose - quite possibly other retailers, too. I wouldn't dream of making coffe with cold mik, either!

Optimist1 Sun 12-Mar-17 12:36:55

* Colombia!

thepatchworkcat Sun 12-Mar-17 13:28:48

Thank you!

BumbleBea8 Sun 12-Mar-17 13:44:44

How about a V60 coffee filter? You have to get paper filters but they are biodegradable. Much less faff than a cafetiere. I also recommend cafe direct coffee.

JennyWreny Sun 12-Mar-17 13:48:43

I was going to suggest pour-over too BumbleBea8 I use a Kalita Wave, but I think V60 is the most popular (and easiest to get the filters for). Think you can get them from about £5 from Amazon.

ChuckDaffodils Sun 12-Mar-17 13:51:30

Aero press.
We got rid of our expensive huge machine in favour of it, the coffee itself is always fantastic. And it cost £25.

thepatchworkcat Sun 12-Mar-17 15:49:21

Thanks all, will be googling!

JennyWreny Sun 12-Mar-17 15:52:19

I got the Hario Slim hand grinder for Christmas which I'm really pleased with. Think it's about £20. Grinds up to about 25grams which is about enough for 2 cups.

Footle Sun 12-Mar-17 19:26:01

You need strong arms for the Aeropress, or one strong arm anyway.

ChuckDaffodils Sun 12-Mar-17 22:21:30

You need strong arms for the Aeropress

Do you? I just put it on a jug and press down slowly. What are you trying to do with yours?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now