Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Ethical food

(8 Posts)
Puffinitee Sun 01-Jan-17 15:43:35

Hi! I was wondering which foods to avoid because they're not very ethical. We don't eat a lot of meat and try to get responsible fish. Always buy organic milk. I know coffee, chocolate and sugar are potentially dodgy, is there anything else I should look out for? Can you recommend (supermarket) brands?

roseteapot101 Sun 01-Jan-17 15:58:00

unfortunately this can be a mine field i dont think you can avoid something unethical

palm oil they burn large areas of forest to grow
coconuts they train monkeys to collect them
so called fake fur mislabelled now as real cheaper
caged egg farming

then theres gmo not so much the gmo itself but the business practice of the company that owns the patent and how they treat farmers

almonds ,nestle is a big producer .nestle has gone on record to say they do not believe water should be a human right.They have been illegally taking water in a time of huge drought in California.Almonds require vast amounts of water to grow

the list go's on i can see why so many choose to live in a happy bubble

pklme Sun 08-Jan-17 07:54:32

Buying local and minimally processed is probably the most helpful policy, where you can. Everything else is complicated!

Shockers Sun 08-Jan-17 08:02:47

I avoid Nestle, Nutella (Rocher), Doritos. There will be more, no doubt. I try to buy organic wherever possible too. We found a local organic farm and eat less meat, but buy it from there. Eggs always free range and organic.
M&S were terrible for palm oil (and plastic packaging!), so I stopped shopping there.
It's a minefield, but if everyone tried, the large corporations would be forced to take notice.

BikeRunSki Sun 08-Jan-17 08:16:28

Buying local and minimally processed is probably the most helpful policy, where you can. Everything else is complicated!

This

Veterinari Sun 08-Jan-17 08:25:04

Definitely palm oil - it's destroying swathes of tropical forest habitat and is in lots of foods and toiletries

guineapig1 Sun 08-Jan-17 08:33:21

We always get organic milk and buy the bulk of our meat/fish from our local butcher and fishmonger. Some of our veg is from the organic foodshops and we do try to eat fairly seasonally where possible, though DC have a love for expensive tropical fruit which is not native to this country and we indulge them

michelle303 Thu 02-Feb-17 15:59:56

Buying local is definitely the way to go, however I do sometimes worry that we never really know what's going in our food. i've watched a few food documentaries recently so i'm very wary of what i'm eating and where it comes from.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now