Talk

Advanced search

Laundry disinfectant

(8 Posts)
marellocherry25 Tue 08-Nov-16 15:18:04

Hi,

I usually wash at 30 with Bold laundry liquid, however my boyfriend's clothes are getting whiffy (although I don't smell).

I don't want to wash any hotter as the clothes get damaged. I have been using Napisan. It helps a bit but the clothes are still smelling and I would like to reduce the chemical load. Does anyone have suggestions on something more eco-friendly / less harmful to people I can use?

I appreciate that standard laundry liquid isn't good for the environment but am trying to change things one step at a time. smile

dementedpixie Tue 08-Nov-16 16:46:41

I'd switch from liquid to powder as liquids have no bleaches and don't keep the drum as clean. What damage are you finding using a higher temperature like 40 degrees? You could try a cap of zoflora in the fabric softener bit of the machine during the wash cycle too

dementedpixie Tue 08-Nov-16 16:47:47

P.s. I have never been harmed by my laundry detergent confused

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 08-Nov-16 16:50:27

Another vote for using a powder rather than a detergent, also make sure it is bio rather than non bio.

I like Splosh as all there containers are reusable and they have a closed recycling loop for their plastics.

specialsubject Sun 13-Nov-16 11:27:17

Clothes should not be damaged by a forty degree wash, and UK washing chemicals are made for hotter water.

DoItTooJulia Sun 13-Nov-16 11:59:15

Ecover products might be good for you?

You can make your own washing powder (I never have, but every now and again I consider it!) so might be worth a google-because that way you use powder (better all round) and get to control the ingredients.

ArtichokeHeartsAppleCarts Tue 15-Nov-16 18:14:50

You could try putting tea tree oil in the wash-I put 5 or so drops in a wash as needed

ArtichokeHeartsAppleCarts Tue 15-Nov-16 18:16:05

Method laundry liquid is v good too-makes clothes smell lovely

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now