Talk

Advanced search

Questions about Cloth pads

(16 Posts)
Itsalwayssunny Wed 25-May-16 21:41:14

I'm debating switching to cloth pads, I can't use tampons and I find a lot of pads nowadays are heavily scented and feel uncomfortable on my skin. I have a few questions though if anyone could help!

My period is very heavy, I wear the largest most abosrbent disposable pad I can find at night and I still need to change it to avoid leaking. The joys! This is making me question whether they would be suitable for me?

Also how do people store used ones for example at work?

Recommendations of brands/products would be helpful too.

Do you have to wash them on a very hot wash or is a 40 degree wash sufficient?

How long do they last before needing to buy new?

Any advice would be gratefully received!

Thanks smile

Itsalwayssunny Thu 26-May-16 19:59:58

Anyone?

Justdontaskhowiam Thu 26-May-16 20:12:56

Hiya. I have horribly heavy periods and beforeforehand was using superplus tampax and a night pad - I would still leak everywhere halfway through the night. Now I use a cloth pad and mooncup and that just about gets me through :-) I haven't had to change the pad at work yet as I change the mooncup quite regularly. And I just fo a 40 wash but soak them beforehand. Hope this helps :-)

n0ne Thu 26-May-16 20:18:08

I second the Mooncup, it's changed my life

Justdontaskhowiam Thu 26-May-16 20:21:55

I avoided the mooncup for years thinking it was icky but it is fantastic isn't it! Now the idea of tampax is icky :-/

TormundGiantsbabe Thu 26-May-16 20:27:59

Also how do people store used ones for example at work?

I take a small wet bag (originally designed for cloth nappies) in my handbag. My washable pads have poppers on them to hold them in place but these also mean they can be folded into a little discreet bundle too.

Recommendations of brands/products would be helpful too.

Sorry - I bought mine years ago and can't remember where from. Lots of the cloth nappy brands do them now though - Charlie banana off the top of my head.

Do you have to wash them on a very hot wash or is a 40 degree wash sufficient?

Mine have gone through on 40 washes in with the normal washing and on 60 washes (with the cloth nappies). Always come out clean. The cotton topped ones have stained a little but as they will only be bled on again I'm not bothered about that.

How long do they last before needing to buy new?

I've had mine 7 years now and (minus 2 years of blissful no-periods) they're all still absolutely fine. More's the pity as there are loads of lovely designs nowadays.

My periods were also heavy before I started using cloth but once I switched they became so much less painful, last a shorter amount of time and I have very few leaks.

MadisonMontgomery Thu 26-May-16 20:34:07

I have quite heavy periods on occasion and I find the cloth pads are much better for this - I get the nighttime ones from Honour Your Flow and they are fab, I've never leaked unlike with using Always etc. Storage, I have a washable makeup bag that I keep them in until I get home - before I started using them I was worrying about what to keep them in, but honestly they aren't icky at all! I just stick them in a regular wash cycle all together and they come out good as new. Definitely try them - I just bought one or two to see what they were like and I was converted.

Itsalwayssunny Thu 26-May-16 20:49:06

Thank you all so much that's all really helpful.

The mooncup definitely isn't for me but I am going to look at ordering some cloth pads this evening. (currently ttc so hopefully they won't be needed soon!)

Sorry total novice when you say soak them do you mean in cold water or with detergent?

JasperDamerel Thu 26-May-16 20:52:30

Just in cold water, but I don't bother. Mine are eleven years now and still doing fine although the fabric has faded and the pale pink ones are a bit stained on the inside.

Justdontaskhowiam Thu 26-May-16 20:56:39

I keep an ice cream tub by the machine with cold water and some detergent in. Then I can wash them all at once separate from the other washing, and no one would notice the tub with the lid on. And no ice cream label (what a horrid surprise that would be!)

MadSprocker Thu 26-May-16 20:58:45

I use cloth pads now, and find they are much more absorbant than disposables. You do have to make sure you wear tight knickers, otherwise they can travel a bit! I prefer bamboo topped cloths, very comfortable. I just soak mine in a bucket of cold water and wash on 60 degrees with bath towels. Earthwise girls is a place to look, and if you are on FB there are dedicated pages such as The Bloody Waste, with really good advice.

BombadierFritz Thu 26-May-16 21:01:05

I've had mine 10 years or so. I also soak in cold water (then fertilise the plants with it smile ) before washing in a normal wash. I have a little waterproof bag i bought from the same online shop to store them in at work. I mostly use my mooncup nowadays though

BombadierFritz Thu 26-May-16 21:02:53

I bought some from weenotions, the fairy hammocks ones with wings

Itsalwayssunny Thu 26-May-16 22:58:24

Ok so if I have a very heavy period am I better off trying out nighttime pads to start with and seeing how I get on or are the maxi ones enough? Usually on my heaviest days/nights I use a blue always ultra secure night pad and I have to change it in the night or it leaks and during the day I use bodyforms biggest one and just have to change it every hour or so.

Alot of the starter packs seem to come with a maxi but no night one so just wondering what will be best for me to begin with.

Mumstudentbum Thu 10-Nov-16 16:45:16

This thread didn't come up in my recent search and I was asking the same questions.

Marking place

IamnotaStepfordHousewife Fri 11-Nov-16 20:40:08

After looking at other threads etc have just bit the bullet and ordered some from Wee Notions. Got a little carried away as you can choose from wide variety of fabrics andcolours.Just ordered 6 as buy 5, get one free! Hope I like them. shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now