Talk

Advanced search

Winter veg snacks

(5 Posts)
stargirl1701 Sat 10-Oct-15 19:58:20

I'm looking for ideas for snack pots in the winter. I use tomatoes, cucumber, peppers, etc. as snacks in the summer but we are trying to eat more seasonally so I need some ideas beyond carrot sticks.

DD1 is allergic to ground nuts and DD2 is allergic to dairy, egg, ground nuts and legumes.

Help! smile

Sadik Sun 11-Oct-15 22:20:02

Is it to grow yourself or to buy? DD loves chunks of kohl rabi, the variety Gigant aka Supersmeltz grows big & stores very well. Cooked beetroot is nice but messy (white or yellow vars better if you're growing your own).

This is very specific, but if you have a greenhouse/polytunnel then chinese stem mustards (aka zha cai) are amazingly tasty winter raw snacks.

Otherwise carrot sticks are very nice . . .

Chchchchangeabout Sun 11-Oct-15 22:22:23

Roasted sweet potato 'chips' with some spices (eg smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, cumin, garlic)

ppeatfruit Thu 15-Oct-15 17:00:15

Is this for school lunches or home? If home, you could slow roast a whole small pumpkin (make holes in it) then slice it, and dry roast the seeds with a little tamari, which are both good snax. Or polenta made very dry and then baked and sliced.

Bourgainvillia Fri 16-Dec-16 17:52:28

Parsnips, swede and carrots are all yummy raw imo.

Mixed with nuts to snack on i love them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now