Talk

Advanced search

I thought Germany took recycling/packaging seriously?

(9 Posts)
JanH Tue 30-May-06 19:28:07

I had 3 kitchen chairs delivered from Tchibo today - each has a bentwood back/seat and 2 pairs of legs that cross in the middle (iyswim).

Each one was in a really thick and sturdy cardboard box 29x18x15, inside another equally thick and sturdy box 31x23x16, and most of the box was filled with even more thick cardboard packaging.

WTF?

The boxes had that circular arrow recycled symbol on them but even so we can't quite believe it

They would make great playhouses for small children, anybody near me (E Lancs) want them? (I could put them in freecycle I suppose...)

Californifrau Tue 30-May-06 19:37:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JanH Tue 30-May-06 19:43:20

Do they recycle by re-using though, or by mashing them up v expensively and making new ones? It is serious over-packaging!

Californifrau Tue 30-May-06 19:46:41

hasbean Tue 30-May-06 19:47:23

They only use packaging which is biodegradable I think, so no to polysterene, some plastics ect.

emkana Tue 30-May-06 19:51:08

I think it would be considered enviromentally friendly because it's all cardboard, not polysterence (sp?) or plastic, so easy to recycle.

Now once you've been to a British supermarket at Easter time and have seen those ridiculous Easter eggs in their enormous packaging then you can't really point a finger at the Germans for overpackaging!

Californifrau Tue 30-May-06 19:54:47

SenoraPostrophe Tue 30-May-06 19:58:40

I was going to say that aout cardboard/polystyrene.

JanH Tue 30-May-06 20:00:25

Oh you're right about the Easter eggs of course emkana, but this stuff is just so HUUUUUGE - we can hardly get in the house for it

And apart from 2 tiny placcy bags per chair with screws in, and some of that soft paddy stuff around the chair and legs, it was all cardboard.

I will try to rehome them anyway, I'm sure someone can use them.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: