Talk

Advanced search

Where to start growing herbs and veg?

(6 Posts)
lunavix Sun 28-May-06 12:09:15

Dh and I have decided to dig up a patch of the garden and start growing. Neither of us are gardening sorts though, and have never done this in our lives, so where do we start?? Any tips please?

I was thinking herbs in a window box personally, dh not sure. We'd both prefer to grow fruit but I've heard it takes a lot longer...

AllieBongo Sun 28-May-06 12:13:34

i have herbs in an old butler's sink, that works a treat, by the back door for easy reach!

lunavix Sun 28-May-06 12:17:55

What's an old butler's sink, if you'll excuse my ignorance?

AllieBongo Sun 28-May-06 12:20:22

well, according to these old farts it's called a belfast sink

FillyjonktheSnibbet Thu 01-Jun-06 14:40:30

Go for bushes, you should actually get a few berries the first year. They are so easy and woolworths normally have them for about £2.50 each.

window boxes are great-you can do carrots and lettuce and greens in them. Or a kids sandpit for similar. Keeps the slugs off.

If the soil is poor, grow potatos first year.

Courgettes/tomatos are good value (ie pricy in shops but cheap to grow). They are both amazingly prolific.

Herbs are great, check out Jekkas herb garden. Vida Verde is also good.

Iklboo Thu 01-Jun-06 14:58:15

Tomatoes grow brilliantly in a growbag. Dad grows loads every year in his tiny back yadr. So much tastier than shop ones for some reason & you can jusy shove the bag under a window or by a fence/wall as long as it gets some sun

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: