Talk

Advanced search

Water

(20 Posts)
scienceteacher Thu 25-May-06 20:46:39

How do I get DH to stop shaving under running water? He seems to think that it is his God-given right.

charliecat Thu 25-May-06 20:51:44

Superglue the plug in the sink? Or tell him its money running down the drain if your metered. He wouldnt throw 20 pence pieces down there so why is he doing it that way?

ComeOVeneer Thu 25-May-06 20:52:51

Stand next to him with his wallet taking out money the whole time he is doing it.

scienceteacher Thu 25-May-06 20:57:25

...without nagging

charliecat Thu 25-May-06 20:58:49

fiddle with the stop cock stop / starting it and making him get wet as he adjusts the tap and gets soaked as you switch the supply back on

DominiConnor Fri 26-May-06 10:15:13

Buy him an electric shaver, say you find beards sexy ?

expatinscotland Fri 26-May-06 10:16:46

beards = yuk.

if your dh is like mine, an electric shaver just doesn't cut it.

i like the idea of pulling money out of his wallet whilst he does it.

chestnutty Mon 29-May-06 19:56:40

My dh is the same with brushing his teeth.
2 dds and me switch off the tap but ohh no, not only is the tap on, its on full.
Nagging does not work!

moondog Mon 29-May-06 20:11:07

Have you tried to explain why and shown him exactly how much water he wastes?
(Break it down into cans eg 15 Coke cans.I saw this on a notice in a camp in the US I first worked in about 16 years ago and it has stayed with me forever.)

Caligula Mon 29-May-06 20:13:42

Why does he do it?

I can understand that people do it if they're not used to the idea of water as a resource which has to be used properly, but why, once they've had it explained to them, do people insist on running water away unnecessarily? I'm really puzzled by this. Is he just doing it to wind you up?

foxinsocks Mon 29-May-06 20:15:09

can't he just put some water in the sink and then put the plug in? works just the same except you just have to shake the razor in the water rather than holding it under the running tap

Caligula Mon 29-May-06 20:18:12

Mind you, he'd have to wash the sink properly if he did the dunking method. That's maybe why he does the wasting method - because he wouldn't have to clean the sink properly afterwards?

moondog Mon 29-May-06 20:20:00

It makes me so fucking angry.
Where I live,I regularly see children walking miles for water,when they should be at school,having a childhood.

foxinsocks Mon 29-May-06 20:20:35

yes it can leave bits but if you swill the water round before you take the plug out and while the water runs out, it will get rid of most of it.

I think a lot of people just think sod it (when it comes to saving water).

scienceteacher Tue 30-May-06 08:22:41

Running a tap for a few minutes in this country makes no difference to those children, Moondog. Don't let it anger you.

moondog Tue 30-May-06 17:04:06

Well thanks ST,but I had already worked out we weren't all using the same very big pipe.

I feel that applying a little thought and care in isolated instances is catching however.

scienceteacher Tue 30-May-06 18:06:50

I don't get it. Why does saving water in the UK affect what happens in places where children have to walk and carry water?

Moral support aside...

DominiConnor Wed 31-May-06 09:13:33

Moondog is right to be angry, though not at British water users. The anger should be directed at British people because they support EU trade restrictions that make these countries so poor that they can't feed themselves properly or build decent infrastructure.
Thousands of well fed white British people are quite happy to march through the streets about the "rights" of British farmers to buy new Range ROvers, but coloured people trying to feed their familieis are seen as "unfair competition" and their produce kept out.
This has recently taken an even nastier term where the farming lobby has managed to get dopey green media types to complain about the "wasteful" shipping of food over large distances.
Note we see this a lot. Do we ever see the same rage about growing crops in Britain that are require large inputs of energy ?
No.
Wonder why ?

moondog Wed 31-May-06 14:09:09

Well DC,you've taken this into a whole new realm..
I am angered by thoughtless use of a precious resource,irrespective of where and whe.
It's so.......oafish.

moondog Wed 31-May-06 14:09:37

misuse I should say...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: