Talk

Advanced search

Money is an option (unfortunatley) so what green stuff can/could you do (cheaply)

(34 Posts)
Katymac Tue 23-May-06 22:35:24

I recycle
I compost
I Insulate
I use eco bulbs

Can we swap cheap/easy tips?

Katymac Tue 23-May-06 22:36:00

I ment problem not option

moondog Tue 23-May-06 22:36:53

Spending less is very green.
Stay away from shops as much as possible.

spacedonkey Tue 23-May-06 22:41:57

growing veg/fruit/herbs is cheap and green!

expatinscotland Tue 23-May-06 22:42:27

I use vinegar in lieu of fabric softener. I buy a big jug of it in a Chinese market shop.

Make your own cleansers and air freshners! I posted a recipe for Kim and Aggie's surface cleanser the other day.

Instead of shower spray, we spray our tiles down w/vinegar. Add some essential oils to the mix to counterbalance the smell.

Are your kids still in nappies? Check if your council has any incentives for switching to cloth.

I got a 'log brick maker' as a gift back when I lived in a cabin in Colorado. It's fab for recyling newspapers, egg cartons (the cardboard kind) and even shredded junk mail into bricks you can burn.

I brought it over - didn't have a fire, but it was a gift from my Dad w/sentimental value - and make bricks and kindling gifts (I posted how to make kindling cups from egg cartons).

Try to buy as much of your food as locally as possible.

Don't run water when not necessary, such as whilst brushing your teeth or in between wetting your face and rinsing of your cleanser.

So NO to those nasty carrier bags. Get a bag for life.

expatinscotland Tue 23-May-06 22:43:07

I don't have a garden to grow my own veg, but if I did . . .

I'd also compost - many councils offer cheap compost bins.

Pruni Tue 23-May-06 22:44:09

Message withdrawn

spacedonkey Tue 23-May-06 22:44:23

get a water butt to conserve rainwater?

Pruni Tue 23-May-06 22:45:21

Message withdrawn

Bozza Tue 23-May-06 22:46:09

I'm coming to Edinburgh next week expat so I will be looking out for this famous chinese supermarket of yours.

spacedonkey Tue 23-May-06 22:47:46

I don't have a garden either but I am thinking of getting some pots for my balcony - not sure what would grow well though! Tomatoes? Lettuces? Have already got herbs

Bozza Tue 23-May-06 22:49:15

spacedonkey why don't you try strawberries? and maybe some cherry tomatoes?

expatinscotland Tue 23-May-06 22:52:00

it's in Leith Walk, Bozza, but NOT the one near the Action Group/Jayne's - that one is small. It's the one farther down, towards the bottom of the Walk, on the right hand side as you come down. It's HUGE, you'll see big ol' bags of rice as you walk in.

LOADS of great stuff in there. Have a browse around.

I live in the Links area close to The Shore, about a 10 min. walk away.

expatinscotland Tue 23-May-06 22:53:38

Don't stay up in that poncey Elm Row area. That's not even really Leith. Come down to the foot of the Walk where the mortals and real Edinburghers dwell !

Space, we have no balcony, but I grew tomatoes in a bag when I had one and they grow easily and well.

spacedonkey Tue 23-May-06 22:57:05

tomatoes would be good, my balcony is only about 5 foot by 4 foot, but that's big enough for a few pots innit!

expatinscotland Tue 23-May-06 23:00:08

they'd work great on a balcony that size, especially one w/good light.

Pruni Tue 23-May-06 23:00:57

Message withdrawn

spacedonkey Tue 23-May-06 23:01:06

it's west facing so it gets full sun all afternoon

sorry, i've gone off topic here :-S

expatinscotland Tue 23-May-06 23:02:29

Yes, but DO go to Valvona's! You really MUST go there. Oooooo. There's a Blacks a couple of doors down from it, too.

Excellent!

Pruni Tue 23-May-06 23:04:50

Message withdrawn

expatinscotland Tue 23-May-06 23:07:32

Well, you could just nosh on the bread and olive oil samples at the back, Pruni. I do

Mmm.

Pruni Tue 23-May-06 23:08:22

Message withdrawn

expatinscotland Wed 24-May-06 09:32:58

Pruni,
They've closed the Job Centre at the bottom of the Walk .

It's been almalgamated w/the huge DSS office in Commerical Street.

The building will probably be converted into MORE flats.

Bozza Wed 24-May-06 09:44:00

Right will have to get on multimap and work all this out. We are staying in a travel inn so actually the issue of breakfast is topical. We don't have a big budget for this trip so we are staying in a travel inn. But I am not prepared to spend £15+ each morning for breakfast for the four of us. So have to work out what to do instead.

notasheep Wed 24-May-06 09:57:11

Ditto Moondog-dont buy anything unless you NEED it

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: