Talk

Advanced search

Good excuse to eat Ice Cream

(27 Posts)
tracyk Tue 23-May-06 09:49:17

Buy Mackies ice cream!

Their vision is to be the greenest company in Britain.

and it is just delicious ice cream.

Blu Tue 23-May-06 10:00:29

It is easily the best-buy ice cream in the cabinet! Good quality - I actually prefer it to Haagen Daaz etc, less clarty and cloying - and very good value.

expatinscotland Tue 23-May-06 10:04:45

mackies rox!

tracyk Tue 23-May-06 10:12:54

co-op are doing 100% free at the mo.

shazronnie Wed 24-May-06 09:47:50

virtuous scoffing opportunity

JackieNo Wed 24-May-06 09:52:15

Wow - hadn't ever noticed this one, so will keep an eye out - what a lovely company!

DominiConnor Wed 24-May-06 10:19:31

My company has visions as well. I'm intrigued to see how a company the makes a "food" that requires not only a lot of transport, but the continuous use of energy to keep it cool can get all the way to being the "greenest company in Britain". Maybe the greenest ice cream maker is more realistic ?

Maybe it's nice ice cream, but my kids very rarely eat frozen emulsions of fat and sugar.

Sad to say we're going to see a lot more of this guff. The words "natural", "scientific", "organic", "balanced" etc have long lost their original meaning when used in adverts. We're going to see more "green" in adverts, enough that establishing the truth is going to be really hard.

Also because of the advertising standard, I note the use of weasel word like "aiming to be the greenest....".
This is no more honest than "our best price ever", ie the false comparison between the manufacturers own pricing strategy, but since people don't listen that carefully to adverts, leaving some with the impression that it's a reallt low price in absolute terms.

Of course I could be entirely wrong. Wouldn't be the first time. But how can you tell ?
At my firm I'm in charge of making that sort of claim. I tell potential customers about how we do things that competitors can't even spell (quite literally), and how cool we are in general. I even use a sort of strength through weakness when I explained to an MD of a huge American bank that "we make our process up as we go along".
But that's marketing, not real life.

expatinscotland Wed 24-May-06 10:23:12

DC,
I never thought I'd meet a bigger cynic than myself.

I was wrong.

DominiConnor Wed 24-May-06 13:21:37

Thank you.
I prefer the term "informed sceptic", but "bigger cynic" is fine.
When people are trying to sell me something, I think about whether it is deceptive. People use labels such as "complentary therapy" as a way of avoiding the hard facts which involve both thinking and hearing things we don't want to hear.

babyonboard Wed 24-May-06 15:26:49

but people are always going to want ice cream!
and a company with such a philosophy should always be applauded, no matter what.

would you refuse to buy a house if it wasn't made from locally sourced stone and timber!?

but anyway...i love the vanilla one..just two spoons of it on some fruit is enough to satisy any sugar craving..lol

expatinscotland Wed 24-May-06 15:43:43

dh is a dab hand w/our ice cream maker.

he made a cheesecake one that is truly scrummy, w/digestives mixed in.

babyonboard Wed 24-May-06 15:51:37

aaah an icecream maker..drooool
i'd love one..and a breadmaker..but sadly at the moment we have a 6x4 foot kitchen and no space whatsoever for any new kitchen gadgets..

expatinscotland Wed 24-May-06 22:15:00

Our kitchen is dinky, too. That's why it's lined w/shelves. And I found a big ol' kitchen trolley thing w/doors in The Bethany Shop to stash all our gear away from prying wee handies.

We use ALL our gadgets regularly.

DH makes all the bread, though. I suck at it.

DominiConnor Thu 25-May-06 00:31:45

Babyonboard, if that genuinely was their policy yes I'd applaud it. How do we know it's not an advertising slogan ?

suzywong Thu 25-May-06 00:48:18

spill your DH's ice cream maker recipes please expat

JackieNo Thu 25-May-06 07:08:17

Mackies do have a wind turbine (I know, DC, but they are in Scotland and on a farm). Mind you, there's also this , though. Not v sustainable, but when you're a business, why would you turn down an opportunity like this?

DominiConnor Thu 25-May-06 08:58:53

wEll, indeed, they're a business, and there is always a tension between being good and looking good. Many British firms would rather spend money on PR than improvement.

I'm not one of these who get very upset about shipping food, international trade is a good thing, so I don't see Mackies as bad people for this.
Actually it's a very good thing, and unless you do mad stuff like air freighting potatoes, the energy consumption of ships is really small.

Oh yes to the list of marekting buzzwords (organic, natural, scientific) et al, we have to add "local". People like "local".
Waitrose, who aren't the worst supermarket, recently had posters up saying something like "local growers all over the world", for their producers, to exploit that view.

Saldy we are lurching into a time when people will lurch into behaviours that they think they can understand, rather than do any good.
Transport seems to be taking that on the chin big time. Some is wasteful of course but the really big impacts are from stuff that greens don't lobby about because they're not very interesting.

Greens like "empowerment", and "building awareness", so retail fits that quite well.

Those wish to keep western farmers rich, at the cost of keeping 3rd world farmers poor like this trend towards local and "organic". Organic is a fine trade barrier. You won't get hassles from international bodies, since it's not a government barrier, and it allows western farmers to charge more. Peasant farmers simply can't afford the bureaucracy for this, so are excluded from competition. However the big landowners in the 3rd world may do so, and of course they can be negotiated with to act "responsibly", this is defined as "not undercutting western farmers".

Freckle Thu 25-May-06 09:24:46

Sorry to diminish the debate, but who needs an excuse to eat ice cream???

suzywong Thu 25-May-06 15:25:15

come on expat, I know you're out there

expatinscotland Thu 25-May-06 15:27:30

K, peeps, here it is! Got it from a pal who also made the ginger ice cream and says it's fab.

Scroll down for the cheesecake one. It's easy peasy, too.

ice cream

suzywong Thu 25-May-06 15:30:27

thanks
no calories in the recipes though are there?

suzywong Thu 25-May-06 15:32:10

have you made the bacon one?

SenoraPostrophe Thu 25-May-06 15:33:42

I have to admit to being a bit sceptical too.

But while we're on the subject: dc, food transport is hugely wasteful, and it's not about refusing to buy from third world countries so we can keep our own farmers rich (most of them aren't rich anyway). I was reading an article on this the other day - we ship several thousand tonnes of potatoes to germany every year, and import several thousand potatoes from germany. how does that work? the whole system is ludicrous.

now I do agree that western farmers should not be subsidised because that punishes the third world, but in reality, which farmers in the third world actually export do you think? I think you'll find that a lot of the "peasants" are in fact multinational corporations. I see your point about organic too, but the answer is for more agnecies to help farmers go organic surely? it's much better for poor farmers not to have to buy tonnes of herbicide/fertilizer after all.

snafu Thu 25-May-06 15:34:52

I bet you're a wow at parties, DC.

expatinscotland Thu 25-May-06 15:36:35

NO, SW! Yuk. Only the cheesecake one even appeals to me. I don't like ginger, either. Retch.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: