Talk

Advanced search

Ecover products

(54 Posts)
LilacBump Sun 21-May-06 15:33:20

at the moment i only use their washing up liquid, but would like to try more. does anyone use Ecover products in their home? are they as good as the conventional cleaning products?

ScummyMummy Sun 21-May-06 15:37:59

Um... no. Really disappointed in the majority I've tried. Especially the toilet cleaner- useless. i'd hoped environmental friendliness via simple consumerism would be easier to achieve!

socks3 Sun 21-May-06 15:38:08

I use the multi surface cleaner and it is very good. Haven't tried any other laundry product apart from the laundry bleach to wash the nappies. The toilet cleaner was a bit thin.

Lmccrean Sun 21-May-06 15:39:23

I use their washing up liquid, surface cleaner and use the laundry powder occasionally (usually use eco-balls). They smell great, and I havent had any allergic reactions to them, like I normally do with fairy etc

Lmccrean Sun 21-May-06 15:41:02

oh, yeah, and I use the toilet cleaner stuff too, but I think it works fine, though my previous alternative was a pumice stone...(dont bother with that...was gross and I couldnt wait to use it up-took a year then gave up)

Gloworm Sun 21-May-06 15:42:17

we use the laundry powder and have no problems with it.
we use the concentrated multi-purpose to clean the floor.
use the multi-purpose spray from time to time, it smells lovely
we use the toilet clear too...it works just fine (we are very lucky that we are not in a hard water area these days)

cupcakes Sun 21-May-06 15:51:59

I use the washing up liquid and fabric conditioner and they are excellent. Was very disappointed with the detergent and bathroom cleaner.

bottersnike Sun 21-May-06 16:09:20

We use nearly everything they make! I like the washing-up liquid, SquirtEco for the surfaces and the floor cleaner ( linseed oil, gloopy and smells lovely ), but I agree that the toilet cleaner needs a lot of elbow grease to go with it!
Laundry stuff is also good.
We tried their shower gel but weren't very impressed.

pupuce Sun 21-May-06 16:17:38

I also like everyhting they make

JanH Sun 21-May-06 16:31:09

Dishwasher tablets - v expensive and not sold by Sains or Tesco (not mine anyway) but they clean very well and dw detergents must be amongst the strongest chemicals we use?

No probs with loo cleaner either but we have soft water.

ScummyMummy Sun 21-May-06 16:33:40

Must be the super hard Londinium water that's challenging my ecover loo cleaner, I guess.

pupuce Sun 21-May-06 16:35:42

Maybe you just needto add a bit of elbow grease scummy

ScummyMummy Sun 21-May-06 16:58:58

hmmm! Could be, pupuce. I do try with the loo though.

expatinscotland Sun 21-May-06 17:00:32

I prefer Bio D - more concentrated, like my old fav from the US, Dr. Bronner's. They're products are pretty excellent. We use the polish for the table and wood stuff, the multipurpose cleanser in the bathroom and to clean the oven and fridge.

Haven't tried the washing powders, though. I wash a lot b/c using cloth nappies, so have so far stuck to store-brand non bio (both girls have sensitive skin).

bogwobbit Sun 21-May-06 17:04:54

I use their washing powder, fabric conditioner, toilet cleaner and washing up liquid - find them fine, but tbh I too live in a sort water area.
After what I've read here, I think I'll try the floor cleaner and multi surface clear too.

tracyk Tue 23-May-06 09:46:31

I use their washing liquid and bleach and have just bought the multi surface cleaner.
Love the smell of my clothes after washing with it.
Did youread the article in the Sunday Times about their factory - makes me want to buy their products even more - even though they cost a lot of £££.

LilacBump Tue 23-May-06 09:48:44

thanks! found the article here

tracyk Tue 23-May-06 09:59:57

that's the one - very inspiring isn't it.

Cappucino Tue 23-May-06 10:07:58

I do love SquirtEco though I think it's unfortunately named; I use it all the time. Used to use Dettox and it used to almost suffocate me

not really sure about how well the multisurface cleaner works on my floors

laundry bleach - tick
toilet cleaner - tick - get scrubbing, you idlers!
washing powder - tick
dishwasher stuff - tick

but I have to say it was SquirtEco that changed my life

anchovies Tue 23-May-06 10:28:52

hmmm I recently visited a company who supply ecover with surfactants (I'm an environmental consultant) and it was about a million miles away from the description in that article!

twocatsonthebed Tue 23-May-06 10:28:57

Agree with pretty much all of this. We use most things, just not the washing powder as I have exzcema, and the toilet cleaner does need topping up with something a bit tougher every so often.

But would also put in a vote for their liquid hand wash - smells lovely, and doesn't irritate my sensitive skin.

tallmummy Tue 23-May-06 10:33:33

We use the washup liquid, hand wash (smells lovely) non bio washing powder and multi surface spray. Also found a limescale remover which was good. Our local farm shop has started doing an Ecover refill service which is excellent. The only product I wouldn't recommend is the loo cleaner, smelt awful and didn' really work.

tracyk Tue 23-May-06 10:50:35

Oh no Anchovies - does that mean it's all a lie??

RedZuleika Tue 23-May-06 11:18:58

I use the floor cleaner. We a) have wooden floors downstairs, other than in the kitchen and b) we have a dog who, although he doesn't have sensitive skin, comes from a breed known for skin problems; on both counts, therefore, I feel using something less chemical might be advisable, as much as for other environmental reasons.

Works fine for me and smells ok. Obviously not of synthesized pine or lemon though...

PinkTulips Tue 23-May-06 11:23:32

love the laundry bleach, works way better than the bio-d for the nappies and the fabric softner is lovely too. can't afford to use any more of their products though, they cost a fortune compared to the normal stuff, looking forward to some time in the distant future when i'm back at work and i can afford to though!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: