Advanced search

Social Housing advice - B&B what next?

(16 Posts)
Gillian101 Sun 12-May-13 16:27:22

Hi everyone, we have bee issues a possession notice and section 21 from our private landlord – the documents are all valid. The property is being placed up for sale.
I have a husband and two young girls, one aged six the other is two. My husband suffers from mental health problems namely PTSD and a personality disorder (under the care of the community mental health team). My youngest has'nt had the best starts to life and has behaviour problems (outside the norm) and suffers from seizures.
Due to no fault of our own we have moved numerous times over the years and now want to try for council accommodation. There is no private rental around. We need to stay local in order to remain within my support network and keep some stability amongst the children.
We are aware of a new development of social housing in our area and would be ideal to be placed there, however these properties are unlikely to be ready before October. We are aware the council will place us in B&B for six weeks so maybe placed into temporary accommodation, we are worried being placed into temporary accommodation will reduce our banding risking any chance of getting a property within the new development. So my question to you, after we are “discharged” from B&B how should we fill the void (stay in parents camper-van?) until the new social housing is built?
No doubt I will receive a lot of negative comments about this post, but we are a genuine family in need of some stable accommodation and need to stay within our support network. My husband has served this country to the hills and now he's ill we are looked at as filth. I just hope you can give some thoughts and comments to our situation.

KittensandKids Sun 12-May-13 16:31:04

My sis in law and brother were in this situation, they took the emergency accomodation after the B&B and were still placed in the new house, once it was built, they moved from emergency right into their new house.

Dont be scared to post Social Housing makes up a good % of homes these days and 100% of the homes where I used to live were social house, the only difference is now some have bought theirs.

crazydrunkevilhamster Sun 12-May-13 16:37:28

So you specifically want one of these new build houses from the council hmm and until then you are quite happy to be homeless .
From experience Hostels & B&Bs are not fun , it won't be like a holiday , you have to be out every day straight after breakfast & can't go back until the evening & the council use specific B&Bs for the homeless and they are not the nicest of places .
Your chance of getting one of these new builds is pretty much zilch as the council will offer you properties before they are ready and if you turn them down you will get stuck on the bottom of the housing list and be their forever .
Oh and if you stay in your parents camper van you will not be classed as homeless .
Also the council will want to know what has happened to your bond and may point you in the direction of a private rental .
Sorry to be so blunt

Gillian101 Sun 12-May-13 16:42:19

thanks Kittens, just feels like everywhere you post, theres ppl waiting to poke you in the eye. Feels like the government has shaped how society think of those not in current employment, tarnishing everyone with the same brush. Of course some take advantage of the system but a large percentage are in real need.

MissyMooandherBeaverofSteel Sun 12-May-13 16:45:54

If you have somewhere to stay (your parents campervan) then you aren't going to be classed as homeless, if you are in a b&b because you are homeless then you need to suck up the temp accommodation they give you and you are at their mercy as to what house you are offered, I think you are allowed 2 refusals but have to take the third or get kicked off the list. You can't choose exactly which home you want there may be 100 other people above you on the list who don't have any other choices. If you need to stay on the area for family support then you will more than likely get the area but the likelihood is it won't be the new build you want.

CharlieUniformNovemberTango Sun 12-May-13 16:47:19

The whole process of going into B&B and temp housing isn't much fun but if it's necessary then you will get through it.

I'm sorry but I wouldn't hold out any hope of getting your new build. People who have been on the list or in temporary housing much longer then you will probably get priority over you. Which to be fair is exactly how it should happen.

But if you truly are in need it won't matter as long as you end up with a safe secure home for your family.

CharlieUniformNovemberTango Sun 12-May-13 16:52:41

If you LA has a choice based (bidding) system it's likely you won't offered housing to move on from temporary - you will bid on where you want so you will get a choice.

I am currently in Temp housing and free to stay until I have a bid accepted. There is no rule about offers or refusals. I bid on properties I want to live on, my priority is considered and if I'm top of the list I will be offered it.

Here I am in a low band with not much hope of an accepted bid but after two years I will go to the top band with a stronger chance on getting what I bid for.

Do you know if your LA is choice based letting?

CharlieUniformNovemberTango Sun 12-May-13 16:55:14

Oh and OP - I found some wonderful support here during my eviction and emergency housing stuff. This can be a wonderful place and I wasn't harshly judged at any point smile

expatinscotland Sun 12-May-13 17:01:55

It really depends on your council/area. Some will indeed have people who have been waiting on the transfer list longer than you and might be housed in the new builds before you. Many of these new social housing homes are also shared ownership, so you'll need to be in full-time work and able to afford mortgage and rent.

Your council might also put you in temp and then place you in a private rental, some do this. Then you won't be homeless.

Gillian101 Sun 12-May-13 17:15:07

There's no doubt we are in need. My hubby is worried he wont be able to do the move, so its taken some convincing from the CMHT and family that the move is unavoidable and the next move will hopefully be the last. I'm a little concerned the council will place us anywhere, its vital i am around my family in times of crisis, i simply couldn't cope. Not only that the school and nursery is the only stability the girls have. Accommodation around here is like gold dust (hence the development of social housing) and the rare private let is so expensive. Does anyone have any advice in regards to ensuring we remain in the area?

MissyMooandherBeaverofSteel Sun 12-May-13 17:29:52

I would suggest getting letters from doctors, health visitor, and any other agency (ie SS if they are involved in your families care) to say its going to be in your families best interests to stay in the area, its still no guarantee though, they will see your homelessness as the biggest issue and everything else as a convenience to you but it should give you more points.

The way homelessness works round here is b&b or hostel, then a homeless flat or house when one becomes available then when you hit the top of the list you get offered the next house, if you refuse you get offered the next one then if you refuse again you have to take the next offer or you get kicked out the homeless accommodation and taken off the list. It sounds like its different in different areas though so it will be worth looking into to see where you stand in your area.

expatinscotland Sun 12-May-13 17:33:43

You can try Shelter and CAB and see what your MP can do, but if they do not have the housing they do not have the housing and some have indeed moved people farther out. It's very area-dependent, though, some councils will only allow you to stay in temp accommodation so long and offer a private let or a specified number of choices, some are points systems, some are bidding systems.

If you are in an area with a very high demand for social housing and very limited housing available, choice may be much more restricted.

Gillian101 Sun 12-May-13 17:35:18

Although getting 4 walls and a roof over our head may seem a priority, without the support the family would fall to apart. Its difficult without going through details but the support network is so important. Yes will get letter from the various agencies and ensure the importance of staying within the area is highlighted. Thank you for all your responses so far. x

expatinscotland Sun 12-May-13 17:40:28

They will see homeless children as the top priority. By all means get letters, but if they do not have the stock they do not. And policies are very area-dependent, with some allowing only so long in temp accommodation and a certain number of refusals. This is not illegal, because they're duty of care is to the homelessness.

Gillian101 Sun 12-May-13 18:12:26

There seems to be 2 forms available from the council, A welfare assessment form and a Special needs form. I'm guessing the best person to fill this form in, is the person who knows my hubby the best, probably his CPN/SW. How about my youngest daughter, do i get a form for her also?

expatinscotland Sun 12-May-13 18:18:14

One form is enough for both. Are you in a points-based system?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: