Talk

Advanced search

Tin foil/Cling film alternatives?

(9 Posts)
Jimpatchtashmum Fri 19-Nov-10 21:32:23

I am alarmed by how much tin foil and cling film I seem to be using in my childrens' packed lunch boxes. I do use some tupperware but they struggle with some of the lids and I can only fit about 2 in the actual lunch box and they like lots of little bits. Does anyone know of any alternatives that are more environmentally friendly?

onimolap Fri 19-Nov-10 21:44:03

Greaseproof paper is the only thing that comes to mind, and I'm not sure it's much of an improvement.

But you could:

a) not wrap everything within the lunchbox

b) train DCs to flatten and fold aluminium foil gently, then rinse and reuse.

Are school dinners an option?

ramblingmum Sun 21-Nov-10 08:53:15

I reuse the veg bags from the suppermarket. But maybe ypur greener than me and don't get them in the first place blush

PlentyOfPockets Sun 21-Nov-10 09:06:40

have a look at these

ragged Mon 22-Nov-10 11:05:38

I never use clingfilm or foil, I am bemusd by those who do.
DC sarnies are wrapped in old bread or similar plastic bags. I keep a bag full of bags like that suitable for wrapping up foodstuff. (I keep another drawer full of bags that can't be recycled but are useful for other small items). Toss when they get jam inside or anything else that might go off.

Just save every plastic bag that comes into your life and you'll soon be overrun with them, all shapes and sizes, plenty small enough for a single biscuit or a few cherry tomatos, etc. Bit of masking tape if needed.

Scootergrrrl Mon 22-Nov-10 11:16:04

Lakeland do some lunchbox cubes divided up into sections and some very good little plastic boxes with lids which are really easy to remove. My four year old can get them off without a problem. There are also fabric sandwich wrappers online (sorry - am on my phone so can't do links!)

Jajas Mon 22-Nov-10 11:19:00

I don't accept plastic bags though which does leave the problem of what to recycle at home! I've tried greaseproof paper but unforunately the sandwichs tend to go dry with it. I've resorted to a sandwich box from lakeland which although plastic to start with is at least a one off buy. Very tricky I agree.

toomuchtimeonline Tue 23-Nov-10 09:50:40

Has anyone seen an equivalent to the planetbox in the Uk?

starlingsintheslipstream Tue 23-Nov-10 09:55:58

These Wrap n Mat's are what Scootergrrrl mentioned, I think. I've got them for the kids - they are pretty good and are holding up better than I thought they would.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: