Talk

Advanced search

What do you think about countries where Euthanasia is legal?

(9 Posts)
MoominMantra Tue 04-Jun-19 20:10:47

And not even only for things like if someone is terminally ill but if they are suffering mentally.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/06/04/dutch-girl-17-raped-child-euthanised-home-life-unbearable-9806828/?ito=article.mweb.share.top.link

I find this article so heartbreaking. It's so final It just doesn't sit well with me. Apparently children as young as 12 can be Euthanised in the Netherlands.

MoominMantra Tue 04-Jun-19 22:07:55

Bump

dudsville Sat 17-Aug-19 15:15:12

I haven't clicked on your link, I don't agree in theory with children perhaps in the situation of your link, from what I can gather from its title, but I would be a lot happier to have the choice for my own end of life management.

MidniteScribbler Wed 21-Aug-19 00:15:38

I don't think this falls strictly under the category of euthanasia, it sounds like she refused to eat or drink and they couldn't legally force feed her.

I do support euthanasia for anyone who is certified as being mentally fit enough to make the decision. I think Victoria, who has recently passed the law, has got the balance pretty right.

poolblack Wed 21-Aug-19 00:30:47

Noa wasn't euthanised though.

squeekums Wed 21-Aug-19 00:56:12

This wasnt euthanasia
Noa was denied it, so she starved herself to death, her parents and drs chose not to force her as had been done in the past.
She never should have had to suffer like that.

I hope she found the peace she was so desperately seeking

I think of it like this, if someone wants to die, they will find a way, however horrific for themselves and whoever finds them. So why not allow some dignity and make it pain free and humane

HappyHammy Mon 26-Aug-19 15:34:45

Poor girl. She wasnt euthanised was she. She finally stopped eating and drinking which her parents and doctors respected.

Idontwanttotalk Thu 26-Sep-19 11:38:44

"I think of it like this, if someone wants to die, they will find a way, however horrific for themselves and whoever finds them. So why not allow some dignity and make it pain free and humane"
I would prefer the person who wishes to die to find their own way. I can't see why taking your own life can't be pain-free.

I wouldn't like to be in any sort of relationship with anyone who was allowed to euthanase somebody. I don't believe there is any way they could continue to have the same regard for life once they have started dishing out medicines which take the lives of others.

squeekums Fri 27-Sep-19 00:24:07

**I would prefer the person who wishes to die to find their own way. I can't see why taking your own life can't be pain-free.
I wouldn't like to be in any sort of relationship with anyone who was allowed to euthanase somebody. I don't believe there is any way they could continue to have the same regard for life once they have started dishing out medicines which take the lives of others**

So you wish them to die alone and in pain? how inhumane.
Suicide is rarely pain free due to the fact you do it however, there is no getting right combo of drugs to do it peacefully
Jumping in front or off of something leaves other victims, the ones who find you and you wont always succeed.
Slashing ones wrists or other mass bleed areas is a traumatic find for anyone.

I actually think those who wish to see people suffer cos of their own feelies have no regard for life. Life isnt just being alive, its about having a quality of life you feel good in, you feel wanted in, you feel needed in.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »