Talk

Advanced search

Environmental vegetarianism

(7 Posts)
Aquifolium Tue 07-May-19 22:31:07

Hi,
I am inclined towards vegetarianism for environmental reasons. However I have read much about the unsustainability of some veggie and vegan alternatives like almond milk and soya protein.

I wish food had carbon footprint on it just like they now have to have traffic lights for sugar fat and salt.
How many years did it take for manuftuers to be forced to do that though?
Is anybody campaigning for such labelling already?

lljkk Tue 07-May-19 22:34:14

I was vegtn for that reason.
The footprint is complicated as hell.
Bit dated now, but Try reading How Bad Are Bananas.
& then you just do your best, muddle thru.

SunnySomer Tue 07-May-19 22:41:01

I have been experimenting for a couple of weeks and have decided to buy one nice meat thing per week which might last several meals (eg a chicken). We still have dairy, but less and not substituting it with pretend stuff, also eggs but from the farm honesty box. So reducing footprint I hope. I don’t know. It’s a can of worms.

Aquifolium Thu 09-May-19 14:14:34

That book looks interesting.

I agree, total can of worms. I think I might contact ethical consumer and see if they have special report or intend to do some ongoing research, as I guess this is always changing

le1la Thu 09-May-19 14:20:52

Hi OP.
I'm vegetarian for the same reason. It can get pretty boring (especially in winter) but I try to eat vegetable-based dishes (rather than meat substitute) and use vegetables that are grown within the UK. I end up eating a lot of cheese, eggs and pasta so it's really not the healthiest diet plan for me!
Do you have any farm shops local to you?
I love the idea of a traffic light system, because I agree that it is a total minefield!

LazyFace Thu 09-May-19 14:25:11

I think the milk alternatives are even worse than milk. Is the packaging even recyclable?

Aquifolium Thu 09-May-19 17:28:08

I agree about the milk alternatives, almond milk can’t possib be better than locally produced cows milk.

I know someone who did veganuary, he lasted 2 weeks, and discovered that dairy didn’t suit him. So he now gets through a lot of almond milk. I can’t think that is the point of veganuauay?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »