Double standards? Burger me!

(6 Posts)
ONE23FOUR Mon 25-Jun-18 15:00:05

An acquaintance is a big Instagrammer who is always posting pictures of healthy food she makes. She's a big advocate of being body positive and regularly shouts out anything negative about body image (rightly so). What she never mentions is that she works in Macdonalds. I find this a double standard from a moral perspective considering the battle with obesity. Let's not beat about the bush here. It's one thing to be proud of your shape and never to knock others but from a health standpoint, obesity is a huge problem facing today's society. Macdonalds will argue that they promote healthy eating so why does she omit her job from her blogs and pictures?
hmm

OP’s posts: |
SoupDragon Mon 25-Jun-18 15:03:04

And?

JenBarber Mon 25-Jun-18 15:04:24

Because it's just her job.

It's not her beliefs or personality.

It's just her job. It's not that important.

TwitterQueen1 Mon 25-Jun-18 15:05:45

Who voted you judge and jury?

MyRelationshipIsWeird Mon 25-Jun-18 15:09:36

Doesn’t sound like double standards or hypocrisy at all.

If she’s body positive it means she doesn’t buy into all the nonsense about ‘beach bodies’ and thigh gaps. If she’s posting healthy food which she eats then she is obviously aware of which foods get more likes on Instagram - lush looking salads or a sad looking McD burger! That doesn’t mean she never eats one, nor that anyone else should never eat one.

Body positivity is for people who aren’t judgey about what other people eat/weigh so maybe try it?!

abilockhart Mon 25-Jun-18 15:15:10

It's her job. She may not have much choice.

I didn't realise that only those fortunate enough have better options are allowed to be considered ethical.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in