Talk

Advanced search

Cruelty Free Baby Products?

(13 Posts)
MotherOfBeagles Sun 05-Mar-17 10:33:17

I'm not sure if i'm in the right place right now so sorry if i'm not! I am currently pregnant and my mum is chomping at the bit to get buying things (first grandchild) but i'm really conscious about avoiding tested on animals where possible.

I know buying cruelty free isnt always possible but im struggling to find a good site with information about which products are/arent tested on animals.

Has anyone got any tips?

Thanks in advance!

DJBaggySmalls Sun 05-Mar-17 13:13:00

Nothing cosmetic is tested on animals in the UK or EU, it hasnt been for decades and I'm surprised you dont already know that.
So it depends how strict your standards are. If you are against using anything which was ever tested on an animal you are looking for vegan standard cruelty free products.

MotherOfBeagles Sun 05-Mar-17 13:26:12

Thanks for your reply, i know that whole products aren't tested on animals but the ingredients usually are. I was just wondering if anyone could advise companies that don't test at all, vegan standard is where i'm starting but not very practical for formula options.

DJBaggySmalls Sun 05-Mar-17 17:11:32

''Johnson & Johnson Ltd do not test cosmetic products or individual ingredients on animals and follows the requirements of the current European Union (EU) animal testing ban.''

www.johnsonsbaby.co.uk/johnsons-baby-expertise/safety-ingredients

They are not tested on animals in Europe or the UK; not the final products or the ingredients.

BertieBotts Sun 05-Mar-17 17:23:17

Weleda is good if you're after natural/organic stuff.

If you want vegan standard are you not planning to breastfeed rather than formula feed?

Look at reusable nappies and wipes as well.

PootlewasthebestFlump Sun 05-Mar-17 17:27:53

Superdrug and Waitrose both have leaping bunny status. Co-op as well I think.

I agree about Weleda, Faith in Nature also. I recommend Spiezia from salons or mail order.

MotherOfBeagles Sun 05-Mar-17 21:36:43

Thanks Bertie, I'm honestly not sure about breastfeeding yet. I'm a first time mum and looking at all the options. Not decided anything definitively I just want to make sure I have as much information about the range of options.

Thanks Pootle I'll have a look at those!

MotherOfBeagles Sun 05-Mar-17 21:40:16

I'm not radically for or against anything and I know in all likelihood when I have a screaming baby to deal with ill use whatever works best. I just try whenever I'm doing or using something new to start with the cruelty free etc stuff. If it's not possible sadly it's not possible but I just try where I can. Maybe that's naive but it's what I do in my little world smile

BertieBotts Sun 05-Mar-17 23:58:34

Yes of course smile If you are interested in breastfeeding the best thing to do IMO is to research what to expect and where you can get support if things go wrong. There's not much which can't be fixed, it's just that the systems for support are not well integrated or easy to find if you don't know where to look.

Bordersarethebest Tue 07-Mar-17 21:06:02

If you're still looking Sainsbury's own label has the bunny on. That's why we use it.

specialsubject Fri 17-Mar-17 17:54:12

Also remember ethical goes with buying less. So everything for your baby should be second hand except mattress and car seat, and you should absolutely minimse the products you buy for both it and you. That is the best inheritance, a planet with some life left in it.

Get grandma to look on eBay and local selling groups and buy from there.

PirateQueenie Sun 30-Apr-17 22:59:56

DJBaggySmalls couldn't be more wrong (sorry to burst the bubble). You're exactly right MotherofBeagles - even companies that claim they don't test on animals have imported all their ingredients from companies that test on animals. I'm vegan and buy all my products from Superdrug. All their own brand stuff is cruelty free and has the logo stamp to prove it. I find their products much gentler, and cheaper too! Thanks for being so conscientious - we need more people like you on this planet! ✌❤🌍

honeyroar Tue 06-Jun-17 03:22:27

I'm late to this thread, but Tesco and Coop have very good cruelty free ranges, not just because they have to, they fund research into cruelty free methods. I use some of their baby range for my animals, and it's very good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now