Talk

Advanced search

to ask boss if he's 'managing me out' post-pregnancy announcement

(7 Posts)
toddlermom Thu 02-Mar-17 21:24:51

Told my boss/biggest client last week that I'm pregnant and since then he has asked me 'how I'm coping in my condition?", (perfectly healthy woman) "how will I manage work with 2 kids afterwards?" (the same as I manage now with 1 kid). And then this week he hasn't signed my yearly contract (which he apparently had signed 2 weeks ago before he knew I was pregnant). His PA says I will get it next week - apparently.

I'm a long term contractor - 11 years with same boss/client but sadly not an employee (as initially I was meant to be but I took contractor position at the time as better than no job) so I'm classed as a contractor. So no maternity leave, sick pay, pension, holiday, staff car etc. Last pregnancy I took 2 weeks off maternity leave. This time I'm planning to do the same (luckily job can be done from home and have a great nanny). But all of a sudden he's asking for reports and spreadsheets on jobs I've done and projections for jobs I'm working on right now. And getting his PA to send me emails trying to find out a lot of things from me that he would never normally ask. Things that you would want an employee/contractor to tell you if they were leaving for example as he doesn't know anything about - or have the contacts for - the area that I manage except for the reports I give into him.

So just asking please any advice on what I can do to avoid being 'managed out." I'm still doing the job to a really high standard and delivering everything I need to. I just have this feeling he's trying to get rid of me. I know it might sound crazy but it feels 'off'.

handmademitlove Thu 02-Mar-17 21:30:47

This information on fixed term contract workers from acas might help

www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=4587

toddlermom Thu 02-Mar-17 22:38:13

Thank you! Anyone in HR or employment law out there?

toddlermom Thu 02-Mar-17 22:40:57

Thanks Handmade, the link helped a bit but is mostly for people under 2 years with a client, so I was wondering what are your legal rights after almost 11 years with client. It says in the ACAS advice:

Any employee on a fixed term contract for four or more years may automatically become a permanent employee, unless the employer has a good business reason not to do so, or a collective agreement removes the right.

FruitCider Fri 03-Mar-17 05:32:20

Are you a self employed contractor or employed through an agency?

I'm not legally trained but I am a union rep so know some stuff in this area.

FruitCider Fri 03-Mar-17 05:34:20

If you are employed through an agency you have the same rights and benefits as an employee after 2 years working for the same company. You should receive annual leave, sick pay, and more importantly, maternity pay.

If you are self employed your rights are more limited.

sadallthetime Fri 03-Mar-17 08:06:10

I don't really know but do you contract for anyone else ? If you are doing full time hours for this firm it could be Deemed you are an employee by the HMR .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now