Talk

Advanced search

Do you have a system for buying books for Kindle?

(18 Posts)
leafygarden Wed 24-Jul-19 15:59:52

I am considering (or dithering) over whether to buy a Paperlight Kindle as do read quite a lot.

I had the original Kindle when it first came out years ago, and bought too many books. Read lots, but quite a few were left unread, which to me seems wasteful, even when some of them were free anyway confused I know I may be a bit weird.

I'm thinking I need a system so that I don't overload with books that I then don't read. Someone on a different thread mentioned a notebook to keep track, which sounds like a plan.

Any other ideas? Or what do people do in general?

Thiswayorthatway Wed 24-Jul-19 16:04:27

Set up a wish list of books you want on Amazon and only buy the next one once you have finished the first.

leafygarden Wed 24-Jul-19 16:16:50

Sensible - but then what if it's on offer for a few days only - I think that's where I used to go wrong. Thinking 'oh that's a bargain' and getting it there and then.

Will have to practise self control.

MichelleC69 Wed 24-Jul-19 16:17:55

I buy what I fancy and get through them eventually. A lot are only 99p or £1.99 so it's not really a massive cost.

nocutsnobuttsnococonuts Wed 24-Jul-19 16:22:12

I try and only buy books I know I'm going to read. I often set up pre orders for authors i like as soon as the books are on Amazon. Saves loads of money often I pay £4ish rather than the £9 new releases are.

I did set up folders on my kindle with books to read and books I've read. But didn't really work I tend to fancy certain books at certain times!

I recently bought one of the discs on eBay which has 1000's of books on so will have lots to read this summer 😁

CMOTDibbler Wed 24-Jul-19 16:23:12

I have folders on my kindle for new books (fiction and non fiction) and one for 'not worth reading again' as well as category folders. When I buy a book I put it into new, and then move it once read. Not worth re reading gets removed from my kindle so that folder just exists in the cloud.

For books I want to read, they get added to a private wishlist which I skim through daily to see if they are reduced, and I do the KindofBook daily email too

LivingInLaputa Wed 24-Jul-19 16:33:20

I was just thinking about this as I recently started using my kindle again after a long break. I did the same thing with the daily deal emails, and now I’m looking at the collection I have thinking why did I buy those?! A quid isn’t much but it sure adds up blush

I’m determined to read what I’ve got before I add anymore, mainly because I’m skint grin

It’s hard choosing kindle books though if you aren’t going by the emails. I used to work in a library and I’ll freely admit I would judge them by their covers grin I’d just get a feeling from particular books, and flick through etc which you can’t really do with ebooks.

I’ll probably do the wishlist thing going forward, and use that for the sort of books that get talked about a lot and I keep meaning to read

(Not very helpful for you though sorry!)

lisbet679 Wed 24-Jul-19 16:45:42

@nocutsnobutts - what is this wondrous disc you speak of from Ebay?? And is it compatible with a Kindle Paperwhite?

@LivinginLaputa I can relate exactly to what you're saying as I also like to have a good snoop in the library/charity shop etc and quite often have picked good books out like that. Or sometimes from reading recommendations on here. Also likewise the spending too much money on books. One year, I vowed not to buy any at all, and just read what I had - it did work!

nocutsnobuttsnococonuts Wed 24-Jul-19 17:32:02

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

burnoutbabe Wed 24-Jul-19 19:35:32

Same issue here. I stuck books into "new and paid for" to distinguish them from free stuff.
And I am going to write a list snd stick it on my kindle cover of unread paid for ones.

lisbet679 Thu 25-Jul-19 06:07:01

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

QueeniesPotOfRouge Thu 25-Jul-19 06:10:34

But there's quite a few sellers with big bundles of books around 20,000 from various genres.

Unless they are all out of copyright then they’re illegal pirated copies for which the authors are receiving the grand sum of £0.00.

Ken1976 Fri 23-Aug-19 21:48:58

I joined kindle unlimited. Approximately £6.99 per month. You can borrow 10 books at a time.
Once I have read a book I can send it back to kindle unlimited and get another one.
Some books are rubbish and I return them after a few pages.
I probably read about 20 books per month. I do buy the odd book as well but only if the write-up is really good
Works for me

MrsFogi Fri 23-Aug-19 21:54:21

Can someone tell me how to set up folders on the Kindle? I would love to do that!

BarbaraofSeville Tue 03-Sep-19 20:50:49

I use ereaderiq to track prices of books I want to read and they email me when the price drops to 99p. I have quite a lot of unread books so I only allow myself to buy them when they are 99p.

Ken1976 Tue 22-Oct-19 17:05:15

I have a kindle paper white and joins kindle unlimited for £7.99 per month. They allow you to get 10 books at a time. I get my 10 books , read them and then send them back and order the next ten. I occasionally pick a free book and also buy the odd book. I don't read every book. I try to but if they are dull I delete them smile

morrisseysquif Wed 23-Oct-19 08:29:40

I download a sample first to see if I like it, then if I do, I may buy it but only at a certain price point. The samples are quite long.

If it's too expensive and I really like it, I reserve and borrow from the library.

I'm a prime member and some titles can be borrowed, I think I can borrow one title a month.

I have loads of unread books so I really don't want to be spending a fortune buying new ones.

It's really easy to get sucked into buying lots of 99p titles but it all adds up!

morrisseysquif Wed 23-Oct-19 08:31:02

I download a sample first to see if I like it, then if I do, I may buy it but only at a certain price point. The samples are quite long.

If it's too expensive and I really like it, I reserve and borrow from the library.

I'm a prime member and some titles can be borrowed, I think I can borrow one title a month.

I have loads of unread books so I really don't want to be spending a fortune buying new ones.

It's really easy to get sucked into buying lots of 99p titles but it all adds up!

Amazon first reads for prime hasn't thrown any amazing reads my way!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »