Talk

Advanced search

Kindle battery problem

(23 Posts)
brizzledrizzle Tue 11-Dec-18 16:55:35

My kindle is about 4 years old and the battery now only lasts about a day (if I leave the light on overnight) whereas it used to last ages. Have others had this problem? I tend to fall asleep reading so the light ends up staying on.

I'm wondering whether to replace it as an xmas present to me.

dementedpixie Tue 11-Dec-18 16:58:50

Maybe get a paperwhite as it will not need a light and it will powersave and the screen will go off if you don't press to turn a page

FadedRed Tue 11-Dec-18 17:04:53

Our old Kindles had the same issues. DH got new batteries online and replaced them. But he did know what he was doing. So it is possible to replace the battery (think the new battery cost £20ish). Not sure where you would get this done though-computer repair type place?

BlingLoving Tue 11-Dec-18 17:09:59

I think a lot of devices have battery issues after a while. My PaperWhite i s starting to die a lot quicker - it used to last for weeks but I only get a few days out of it now.

Personally, I'd treat myself. What do you have at the moment? The paper white is fantastic in my opinion, and very easy on the eyes. But DH prefers his Kindle tablet (quite an old one) as he uses it for other things too.

brizzledrizzle Tue 11-Dec-18 17:12:04

It is a Paperwhite - they have the built in light.

brizzledrizzle Tue 11-Dec-18 17:12:39

I'm looking at the new waterproof Paperwhite.

AdaColeman Tue 11-Dec-18 17:16:58

I think 4 to 5 years is about the life of a Kindle if mine are anything to go by.
So a new one could soon be on the cards.

Iamanaubergine Tue 11-Dec-18 17:18:30

Do you have it set so that it turns off after a period of inactivity? My paperwhite is set to turn off after about 10 minutes of me not touching the screen.

BlingLoving Tue 11-Dec-18 17:18:38

Mine turns itself off. It's always done that but maybe it was a setting and I didn't even realise? If it's on for the whole night, that will kill the battery. Why don't you look through the settings and see if there's a place to change it so that it automatically turns off after a certain amount of time - mine is about 5 minutes I think.

brizzledrizzle Tue 11-Dec-18 17:18:53

I've had a look and it's £140 for the one with increased storage and no offers. Hmm....it's a lot of money.

BlingLoving Tue 11-Dec-18 17:19:06

I do like the waterproof idea though - do you think I could take it into the jacuzzi at my gym1? grin

SpartacusAutisticusAHF Tue 11-Dec-18 17:20:01

The light should go off when the screensaver comes on and the screensaver doesn't use power. It's just an ageing lithium battery. Turning it off and on again might be worth trying.

BlingLoving Tue 11-Dec-18 17:21:11

www.amazon.co.uk/Kindle-Paperwhite-Waterproof-Twice-Storage/dp/B07747FR44/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=kindle&tag=mumsnetforum-21&ie=UTF8&qid=1544548155&sr=8-2

Mine Amazon says £99.99

brizzledrizzle Tue 11-Dec-18 17:24:19

The light does go off, yes.

it's £99 but if you want the extra storage it's more.

ikltownofboothlehem Tue 11-Dec-18 17:26:03

I've got a case that puts mine to 'sleep' when you close it.

brizzledrizzle Tue 11-Dec-18 17:27:47

Right, I've checked the settings and they are all already on max battery life and it does sleep when I close it - I just checked. I charged it fully this morning (near enough) and it's now on on slight bar having been fully charged yesterday and ran out this morning.
Time to spend some money I think.

BlingLoving Tue 11-Dec-18 17:29:38

I read a LOT. I have close to 1000 books on mine - would be more but 80% of my books are on Kindle Unlimited - and I've never come anywhere near the max storage level so personally I wouldn't bother. If I was buying a tablet version, then extra storage seems relevant. But for a normal kindle, it seems unnecessary. It's all stored on amazon so you can always redownload in the unlikely event you get full?

brizzledrizzle Tue 11-Dec-18 17:37:12

Yes, I think the extra storage is excessive on balance - 32gb is probably more books than I'll read in my lifetime and I delete them when I've read them anyway.

BlingLoving Tue 11-Dec-18 17:41:25

Exactly. If you use your kindle for fancy medical texts with colour pictures, then maybe extra storage is useful. But the closest thing I have to such a book is my bible book in children's sleep that has got me through many a DS-induced crazy period. And there are no pictures!

BlingLoving Tue 11-Dec-18 17:41:58

[i meant my sleep book is my bible. Not sure that came out so well! grin ]

brizzledrizzle Tue 11-Dec-18 18:18:03

I've ordered the £99 but paid the extra for no offers.
thanks all.

wizzywig Tue 11-Dec-18 18:19:13

My brand new kindle battery generally lasts me 3hrs when watching tv on it.

NotYoonique Tue 11-Dec-18 18:23:49

My mums did this, try doing a hard reset first smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »