Talk

Advanced search

Kindle or books?

(25 Posts)
Sharklover47 Sat 21-Jul-18 18:23:50

Hi

Sorry in advance if this s the wrong place to post this.

I’m thinking of purchasing a kindle, but wondering if it is actually better than having a book?

I do love the “feel” of a book but if I’m reading a hardback it can be quite bulky to carry around with me.

I’ve heard you can get some free books on amazon but not sure if they would be the type I read. Usually when I purchase books, I get them from charity shops or second hand via amazon.

KateGrey Sat 21-Jul-18 18:26:27

I look my kindle. I don’t miss physical books as I’ll eat and read and kindle means I don’t spill as much 😀 I love the ease of it and can have loads of books on there instead of carrying them. Plus it means I no longer have to store the tons of books I order.

Sharklover47 Sat 21-Jul-18 18:29:24

Thanks KateGrey

Can you store a lot of books on the kindle then? I usually have loads of books in the house, but have decided I really need to declutter my house but (and this will sounds really silly) I get panicky if I don’t have books that I haven’t read in the house lol.

SpoonBlender Sat 21-Jul-18 18:32:35

Hundreds of books fit on a Kindle.

I moved to ereaders pretty much as soon as they became available, because I get through a lot of books. One leg of a transatlantic flight would see me finishing one book and starting another, so I was saving myself kilos of baggage allowance by going electronic.

I still have over 8000 books in the house, but I've stopped buying novels on paper.

Zadocthepriest Sat 21-Jul-18 18:37:35

I love my kindle too....
It's backlit so I can read at night
It has all the classics for free
You can touch a word to find out its meaning or derivation or check it up on Wikipedia

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Sat 21-Jul-18 18:39:22

I read a lot and love my Kindle to bits, I have a Paperwhite because I read in bed and I don't need to have a light on when I use that.

I used to have a book storage problem, so having a Kindle has hugely improved that. I do read a lot of free books, some are great and some are terrible so I usually just stop reading if it's bad. Quite often the first book in a series will be free, which is great as it's an easy way to try an new author. Amazon do a list of the top 100 Kindle best sellers, they do a paid for list and a free list so it's useful to have a look at that.

Some libraries will loan digital books, so that's worth investigating too.

Redglitter Sat 21-Jul-18 18:39:55

I love my Kindle. Streets ahead of 'real' books. I don't like the free books on Amazon but buy loads of 99p or £1.99 ones. It's saved me a fortune

Sharklover47 Sat 21-Jul-18 19:24:13

Thanks everyone, it sounds like a kindle or a paper white is a good idea.

beguilingeyes Thu 26-Jul-18 07:36:50

It doesn't have to be either/or. The Kindle is brilliant for traveling and reading in bed with no light on, but I still buy lots of paperbacks from charity shops.

BareBelliedSneetch Thu 26-Jul-18 07:40:47

A paper white is a type of kindle.

Dont get a fire - that’s a tablet not an ereader.

As someone else mentioned,it’s not either/or. You can do both. Having an ereader doesn’t stop you buying charity shop books!

I love books, but find that actually, once I’m deep in the middle of the book, I have no idea what medium I’m reading it on, I’m just reading!

CiderwithBuda Thu 26-Jul-18 07:47:19

Both! I love my Kindle but still love and buy real books. I used to panic going on holiday that I didn’t have enough to read especially a beach holiday. We went away a few weeks ago and I took three paperbacks plus my kindle. Read the paperbacks plus three on kindle.

ProfessorMoody Thu 26-Jul-18 07:52:31

I absolutely love my Kindle Paperwhite - definitely get that one above the others, the light is brilliant.

I used to have shelves and shelves of books but when we downsized I got rid of most of them and now have a small bookshelf for special books.

I go through about five books a week and a kindle means I don't have to store them. They're lightweight, easy to hold and you can book buy in seconds. Life changing.

MrsW85 Thu 26-Jul-18 08:06:58

I have the kindle app on my phone and read from there. I love a proper book but it's more convenient to store and read from the app.

bruffin Thu 26-Jul-18 08:12:06

I love my kindle paperwhite as well. Busy buying books for holiday, means i can take hundreds of books with me if i want.

Whyiseveryonesoangry Thu 26-Jul-18 08:24:28

i have both. Kindle is used for holidays as I get through several books. However I find it cheaper to buy proper books from the charity shop. A ‘bestseller’ on Kindle can be upwards of a fiver, but in the charity shop I can get two for a pound.

TheGoldenWolfFleece Thu 26-Jul-18 17:32:14

I love my kindle voyager for all the reasons stated above. I got rid of most of my paperbacks and just kept the special ones. So much tidier!

HopelessWanderer Sun 09-Sep-18 04:47:03

I love a real book, but I also love the fact I can search for free ebooks, plus I buy books too on my Kindle, so in total I have a crazy number of books.

You don't need a Kindle but it is designed for the purpose, I think when I got my paper white it was on offer at £60. I could be wrong there.

I tend to get a lot of books on my Kindle that I wouldn't like cluttering my shelves.

I'm not into 50 Shades or the boom in eBooks 50 Shades has caused, with everyone thinking they can do the same.

I love a bargain so you can see an ebook for free and you're saving £10+

missclimpson Sun 09-Sep-18 04:59:47

I love my Kindle for fiction, but am less keen for non-fiction. Biography is ok though the pictures are not so good, but anything where you need to look backwards and forwards, cross-reference etc, I find easier in a physical book.

Powerless Sun 09-Sep-18 11:34:41

@ProfessorMoody FIVE books a week?! Do you read full time?! I go through one a fortnight! X

Chocolala Sun 09-Sep-18 11:39:26

Both for different reasons. I like o buy my nonfiction/books I adore in paper and have them on the shelf. I use my kindle for travel reading or (for want of a better word) “tat”.

Chocolala Sun 09-Sep-18 11:40:18

I had to quit kindle unlimited though after I read 62 books in a month. Turns out is have a slight addiction and easy access to new books simply means I elect not to sleep...

nocutsnobuttsnococonuts Sun 09-Sep-18 12:49:42

I love my kindle and it's much easier to put in my bag for long journeys or travelling. Plus in bed I don't have to faff with booklights or get up to turn off the light. And it's much easier to hold than a massive book.

I rarely read proper books, and I've found if you pre-order as soon as possible books are relatively cheap. E.g. I got the last Peter James for around £6.

Plus if you have Amazon prime I always opt for no rush delivery as you get £1 digital voucher towards e books. Soon adds up with little purchases here and there.

Rachie1986 Sun 09-Sep-18 12:54:16

I love my kindle, but still read books sometimes. It doesn't have to be either/or! Kindle stores so so many books, but sometimes I buy books or borrow from the library etc and still enjoy that too.

Kindle books often cheaper that print as well (although noticing they are creeping up in price recently).

If you have Amazon prime you can read some books for free as well, and some classics etc are free for anyone.

WhirlingTurkey Fri 14-Sep-18 17:48:04

I love my Kindle!

Lonesurvivor Fri 14-Sep-18 17:56:07

I love my kindle too. I got the kindle touch 6 years ago and updated to the paper white 2 years ago.
I read lots and love always having a book handy, my kindle comes everywhere.
I do sometimes miss books though. I think you get a better feel from a physical book quicker than I do from a kindle sample as to whether or not it's a book I'll enjoy.
I love a nice cover and the smell of booksblush
I get a lot of books off Tuebl ebook bike for free. It's a bit of faff downloading, converting and transferring to kindle but I do a lot of a books at a time so worth it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: