Talk

Advanced search

kindle paper white - help

(6 Posts)
happsymum Sat 05-May-18 21:06:06

sorry, this might seem a ridiculous question. I'm really not very computer savvy.
I'm wanting to purchase the paperwhite for my daughter whos loving reading at the moment and i want to encourage it. I don't get which option to go for when it offers :
wi-fi only /wi-fi with free 3g
?
help please ! confused

FlowerPotMum Sat 05-May-18 21:08:41

It's like data on a phone .. mine is only wi-fi so I can only download books when I'm connected to WiFi, either at home or out. 3g uses a data plan and charges ( as far as I'm aware). It's no bother not having 3g, I've got thousands of books and I have never needed 3g.
I love my Paper white.. it was an upgrade from a basic kindle and the built in light makes loads of difference.

Lonesurvivor Sat 05-May-18 21:11:09

Is there much difference in price?
My paper white is WiFi only but if I'm away I connect it to my phone's hotspot if I need to download a book.

EraOfTheGrey Wed 27-Jun-18 19:31:26

There is no data plan needed for the wifi with 3G, the 3G is free to use. The only 'charge' is the extra you pay initially for the 3G version above the Wifi only version. The price difference is about £60.

lecossaise Wed 27-Jun-18 19:33:46

Def wouldn't bother with 3G since you can get wifi pretty much everywhere. I can't think of a situation in which you would need a book so urgently it couldn't wait til you got back to wifi (or indeed use your phone as hot-spot in a push)!

NannyR Wed 27-Jun-18 19:36:17

My first kindle had 3g but I found I really didn't need it, so when I bought my paperwhite I just went for WiFi. There's no charge for using the 3g data.
You just need to be organised and download what you need when you're near WiFi, I never found that I was that desperate to download a book that I couldn't wait until I could access WiFi.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »